small 110V LED source

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I'm looking for some pretty small LEDs for my control panel. I have some 10mm ones but I need something around 3-5mm. I also want them to be 110V. I know I've seen them in some builds but I can't seem to find those threads.

summerofgeorge said:
I'm looking for some pretty small LEDs for my control panel. I have some 10mm ones but I need something around 3-5mm. I also want them to be 110V. I know I've seen them in some builds but I can't seem to find those threads.

I used the little CFC indicator lights that are at Radio Shack, they are $2 or $3 each and work great. I set them up so that they are lit when the element is on.

Those and the ones at Radio Shack are not LED but incandescent. I used the radio shack ones for my temp controller.
20120212_172026.jpg

You might want to search Allied Electronics, Grainger or Digikey for "circuit board indicators" that match your description. I cannot see where you would need a 110 volt LED in your assembly, but I am not an engineer. You might want to elaborate more on your planned usage of the LED.

there is no such thing as a 110v LED. light emitting diodes are all low voltage DC.

in order to run one off of 110v AC, you need an extra or external converter of some type to step the 110v AC down into 1-5v DC.

there are "indicator lamps" that work off 110v AC, but they are not LEDs, but usually neon lamps or some other type of incandesent or flourescent light. they work the same and you can use them, but if you are searching specifically for a "110v a/c LED" your not going to find one.

there is no such thing as a 110v LED. light emitting diodes are all low voltage DC.

in order to run one off of 110v AC, you need an extra or external converter of some type to step the 110v AC down into 1-5v DC.

there are "indicator lamps" that work off 110v AC, but they are not LEDs, but usually neon lamps or some other type of incandesent or flourescent light. they work the same and you can use them, but if you are searching specifically for a "110v a/c LED" your not going to find one.

Thanks for the info! I don't necessarily need LEDs. Just small lights of some sort. Any idea where to get something small like 5mm or less?

You might want to search Allied Electronics, Grainger or Digikey for "circuit board indicators" that match your description. I cannot see where you would need a 110 volt LED in your assembly, but I am not an engineer. You might want to elaborate more on your planned usage of the LED.

If you're talking specifically about having an LED (as opposed to any light), I don't need it to be LED. I just thought it would last longer if it was. What I'm trying to do is use a normal 22mm switch for all my alarms. I wanted a very small red light next to the switch to indicate when the alarm was on. I know there are other options such as an illuminated switch or just using bigger lights. I'm using the black 22mm switches for everything else so I wanted to keep it the same for the alarms. I don't have much room for bigger lights, although I might be able to squeeze up to 10mm. It's just pretty tight.

there is no such thing as a 110v LED. light emitting diodes are all low voltage DC. +

Wrong, 110 V LED lamps are available, look at the incandescent replacement lamp with the red marking.
I have been using those for many years.
Just because the element is a low voltage device it's no big deal making a pilot light for any voltage.

100_0405.jpg

audger said:
but if you are searching specifically for a "110v a/c LED" your not going to find one.
DigiKey Part # for a 8mm 110 V LED

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1596848-indicator-110v-8mm-prominent-red-q8p1bxxr110e.html

l3asturd said:
Those and the ones at Radio Shack are not LED but incandescent. I used the radio shack ones for my temp controller.

If your lamp is like in my picture, it is a gas filled lamp ( Neon= orange glow)

b32289de-1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

The Brewtroller guys sell 5mm 12v LEDs that are powered with a power supply unit. I'm using these on my build.

The wiring and components for running literally 100's of LED's is simple and very inexpensive. Take a look at all about circuits forum and jump on in. If you can't learn it there it can't be learned. I use it all the time to do all kinds of "electronical junk", and I have a blast tinkering with stuff like that since I got disabled.
WCB

Back