Got used co2 and reg, something is wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1KD1

Reaction score
Okay, I got a used co2 cylinder with a regulator. When I open the valve (and plug hose using my thumb) i notice a leak on bottom side of regulator where there is a SS washer under a brass adapter. There is an o-ring on the brass adapter (regulator side). The SS washer is just big enough to rest on the O.D. of the o-ring. Is the o-ring bad or is this SS washer setup even supposed to be there?

Here is a pic of brass adapter with SS washer in place:

image-3122527436.jpg

nut/washers might just be the adjustment stop. teflon tape no. gauge reading 5 psi or less? Is that with no pressure/gas?

Thanks. Should there be an o-ring? Or Teflon tape/ pipe dope?

If its an npt fitting, yes, you should use ptfe tape or dope. It looks like npt to mfl? Every regulator I've used has npt connections coming off the body.

nut/washers might just be the adjustment stop. teflon tape no. gauge reading 5 psi or less? Is that with no pressure/gas?

When messing with it, I backed out the "adjustment" screw on regulator just so I didn't lose a bunch of gas while trying to hook everything up and check it. I can plug the hose and then turn the screw "in" and notice that the leak gets much worse as more pressure is applied. The high pressure side is close to 800 psi and the low pressure side seems to work fine but the "adapter" (check valve maybe?) with SS washer leaks with very little pressure applied.

When messing with it, I backed out the "adjustment" screw on regulator just so I didn't lose a bunch of gas while trying to hook everything up and check it. I can plug the hose and then turn the screw "in" and notice that the leak gets much worse as more pressure is applied. The high pressure side is close to 800 psi and the low pressure side seems to work fine but the "adapter" (check valve maybe?) with SS washer leaks with very little pressure applied.

Take off the fitting and see what's going on. If you have a LHBS or even a home depot nearby, bring the pieces in and figure it out. It sounds like the only problem is that sketchy fitting.

zachattack said:
If its an npt fitting, yes, you should use ptfe tape or dope. It looks like npt to mfl? Every regulator I've used has npt connections coming off the body.

Here is a pic of the brass piece removed from body of reg. notice the o-ring on the end heading to regulator body. The o-ring and washer just don't look right to me...

image-345248339.jpg

1KD1 said:
Here is a pic of the brass piece removed from body of reg. notice the o-ring on the end heading to regulator body. The o-ring and washer just don't look right to me...

That looks to me like someone tried to do something dumb...

Teflon tape or some thread lock are all you need to seal the fittings.

I'll give it a shot. If I can get this fixed, I will be kegging today! I'm so excited!

Esmitee said:
Did you take that washer off and get it to stop leaking?
:mug:

Yes, I removed the washer and o-ring, added some thread locker and all seems good now. I kegged a ranger clone and hope to be pulling a brew next weekend. I have high hopes for this beer but have gotten discouraged because most of the used kegs I acquired seem to have issues (bad poppets, bad relief valves, posts that are stripped, etc). I did buy some o-ring kits so I have been able to replace o-rings and mix/match parts until the keg finally held pressure. Hopefully I can get at least two kegs working (out of the 4 I purchased).

Back