Great Divide Yeti

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigloveystyle

Reaction score
I brewed a beer a couple Saturdays ago that I fashioned to taste like the Yeti Imperial Stout from Great Divide. It is looking, smelling and tasting good so far. I racked it yesterday into secondary and I don't know how long I should leave it in there for. Any suggestions? I was planning on 3 weeks and then a couple weeks in the bottle so I can still drink it during the mildly cold Minnesota winter. I also saw some people oaking their brews but I think I'm going to pass on that. Let me know your thoughts,
Thanks

PS The OG was 1.103, my expected FG is 1.028 and when I racked it the gravity was 1.032. I figure two points in the secondary and two more points in the bottle should put me right where I want to be when the bottle hits my lips. Expected ABV=10.3%

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I am trying to put together something like the Belgian Yeti.

Was gonna start from the regular Yeti, then cut 2 pounds of base malt and replace it with a pound of dark candi syrup and use the new Wyeast Belgian Stout Strain. Also, the Belgian uses a different hop schedule, I believe. I am pretty sure there is Styrian Auroira in there...

Anyway...

I have the recipe from BYO's clone issue...

I'd say, from what I have read about this style to get as close to FG as possible in
primary then use secondary basically to dry hop/oak/ clear. So two - four weeks should be good depending on what you are doing.

I don't have it with me right now but off the top of my head...

6 lbs Munich LME
5 lbs Dark DME
12 oz Black Malt
12 oz Roasted Barley
10 oz Chocolate

1.5 oz Chinook 60min
1.5 oz Chinook 30min
1 oz Chinook 5min

2 packs of US-05

PS The OG was 1.103, my expected FG is 1.028 and when I racked it the gravity was 1.032. I figure two points in the secondary and two more points in the bottle should put me right where I want to be when the bottle hits my lips. Expected ABV=10.3%

How many gravity readings did you take and how many days apart were they? As most on these forums will tell you, don't rack into secondary until you have hit your final gravity. "two points in the secondary" may happen but why chance it, leave it on the yeast cake for another 3 days and make sure the yeast are done with their thing.

As far as how long in secondary... with a 10% stout I would say no less than 30 days but there are probably differing (and better) opinions than mine.

I used flaked rye and flaked wheat in mine. Too early to tell if it's critical, but knowing the Yeti as well as I do, I'd say definitely use them. You can feel the rye as much as taste it.

Honestly, a big beer like this will be in its prime six months to a year after it's brewed. Check hydrometer readings, my beersmith is putting the FG at 1.024. With high gravity patience is key to the best results.
Here is the recipe I have from BYO. It's AG, but it's surely not a hard conversion.

65% eff
5.5 gal batch

17lbs 8oz US 2 row
1lb 2oz Crystal 120
13oz Black Patent
13oz Chocolate malt
11oz Roasted Barley
9oz Flaked Rye
9oz Flaked Wheat

1.4oz Chinook @ 60
.5oz Chinook @ 30
.5oz Centennial @ 15
.5oz Centennial @ 5

Ferment w US05 @ 67. Use a BIG starter. The rye is GREAT in a big stout like this, honestly its the reason I love yeti so much.

I'd say do a LONG primary. Like 4-6 weeks, so the yeast have plenty of time to clean up. Then a 2-4 week secondary.

Too late. It's already been transferred to secondary, for some reason.

OP, I'd be surprised if you get any more noticeable drop in gravity now that you've transferred it, and I'm not sure where you got the idea that it would drop again once you bottle.

Also, I think you could be at risk of bottle bombs if you do bottle this, unless you let it sit for an extended period of time and let the yeast go dormant and drop out of suspension.

Honestly, a big beer like this will be in its prime six months to a year after it's brewed. Check hydrometer readings, my beersmith is putting the FG at 1.024. With high gravity patience is key to the best results.
Here is the recipe I have from BYO. It's AG, but it's surely not a hard conversion.

65% eff
5.5 gal batch

17lbs 8oz US 2 row
1lb 2oz Crystal 120
13oz Black Patent
13oz Chocolate malt
11oz Roasted Barley
9oz Flaked Rye
9oz Flaked Wheat

1.4oz Chinook @ 60
.5oz Chinook @ 30
.5oz Centennial @ 15
.5oz Centennial @ 5

Ferment w US05 @ 67. Use a BIG starter. The rye is GREAT in a big stout like this, honestly its the reason I love yeti so much.

Mash temp? Prolly 156F?

Back