Can You Brew It Database

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a 12 gallon batch of this shortly after hearing the pod cast. I have high expectations, it's cold crashing right now. With any luck I will keg it up this weekend!

Tomorrow is going to be day 3 of fermentation.... looking to dry hop, but there is still a huge krausen. If I dry hop, its all going to sit on top instead of in the beer. What did you do?

Don't start the dryhop before fermentation is complete! I racked mine to secondary as the krausen begging to fall to keep that CO2 blanket on top. The release of Co2 with take your aroma with it.

Mine ended up being less hoppy than I expected and finished at 1.009. I have never had the Kern River version of this, but I think I will change a few things next time. Going to raise the mash temp to 152 and add the last dryhop addition in the keg. The hops fade off really fast! I'm assuming this has to do with the insane amount of dry hop. I would also recommend topping your secondary off with CO2 like the podcast states Kern River does. Anything to save the hops!

All in all a good clone attempt. Just not as amazing as I thought it would be. I'll try it again when this year's hop harvest starts to hit the shelf! Cheers!

Hey gang, try to keep your discussions for the individual recipes in their respective threads. That way people who brew it in the future won't miss your notes and comments. This thread is a way to keep all links to the recipes in a single location. Just a heads up. :). Thanks!

EDIT: I just noticed that Kern River Citra DIPA still doesn't have a thread! I take back what I said! Sorry!

barrooze said:
hey gang, try to keep your discussions for the individual recipes in their respective threads. That way people who brew it in the future won't miss your notes and comments. This thread is a way to keep all links to the recipes in a single location. Just a heads up. :). Thanks!

+1

Still no separate thread for the Citra DIPA, so I'll post here... brewed this with very few changes a few days ago. Waiting to start the dry-hopping soon. Updates will be posted on my blog. Looking forward to this one!

berley31 said:
Still no separate thread for the Citra DIPA, so I'll post here... brewed this with very few changes a few days ago. Waiting to start the dry-hopping soon. Updates will be posted on my blog. Looking forward to this one!

Was the fastest I've ever gone through a keg. Such a tasty beverage!

Mine didn't last long either. Some people complained about the Citra have too much of a "soapy" lemon flavor. Others loved it. I thought it drank best around 4 weeks in the keg. The aroma on kegging day was insane! But the flavor was spot on after some conditioning

Just an up date, It took me 6 months to go through 12 gallons of the CITRA DIPA. It was awesome to see how such a hoppy beer evolved over the 6 months. Obviously the first 3 months the beer was its prime, however at the 4-5 month mark the beer took on a weird cheesy flavor and aroma and by the 6 month mark that had faded, but the aroma was substantially less. I will note I entered this beer into a comp and won gold medal and best of show runner up. Interestingly enough it took Gold when it was in that cheesy time period. So moral of the story it couldn't have been that bad. Its an excellent recipe that I will be brewing again. I will also note that the beer at the 6 month mark really mellowed out and became even drier in the finish. Had I thought ahead I would have bottled some to open at the one year mark strictly for personal education, as we all know this beer is best fresh.

As for the hop additions, I understand that there are four over the course of 12 days. So am I correct with this schedule?

1st DH=Days 1-3
2nd DH=Days 4-6
3rd DH=Days 7-9
4th DH=Daus 10-12

From the podcast, you should start your first DH addition after your primary fermentation stops. I usually wait a week at least before hopping. Then space each addition three days apart.
I've made this recipe four times now, it's that good!

From the podcast, you should start your first DH addition after your primary fermentation stops. I usually wait a week at least before hopping. Then space each addition three days apart.
I've made this recipe four times now, it's that good!

Sorry if this has been asked already, so the dry hop lasts a total of 12 days.
Do you bag each addition then take them out when the next addition goes in, or do all the additions stay in for the entire time? I only dry hop for 5 days max.... the first addition would be in for a total of 12 days, no grassy or vegetal flavors occuring from that length of time? :drunk:

Do you bag each addition then take them out when the next addition goes in, or do all the additions stay in for the entire time? I only dry hop for 5 days max.... the first addition would be in for a total of 12 days, no grassy or vegetal flavors occuring from that length of time? :drunk:

I dry hop on top of dry hops, and I'm sure the brewery does also. No grassy flavors at all. I've heard from a few sources that you don't want to dry hop for more than two weeks to avoid grassy flavors and from all of the times I've brewed this at this point, I'd have to agree.

I dry hopped on top of dry hop. Didnt oull them out. Beer was fantastic. Fastest keg i've kicked yet. No vegetal flavors at all.

What they said. Leave 'em in there. It creates a depth of different flavor extractions. That being said, don't leave them all in there if you are dryhopping above 72 degrees. I do most of my dryhopping between 65-68 and have never had any problems with grassy flavors. Even up to 15 days on one addition. Cheers!

I once left whole cone centennial dry hops In for 5 weeks. Not a typo. 5 weeks. Life got busy. I proceeded to enter that beer in a comp and won gold, best of show, $700, and scored a 43.5.

I currently practice 10 day dry hop. But you will be fine leaving them all in for the 12 days.

So, do they not still try to clone brews anymore or does this thread just not get updated with their results?

Yeah, "The Jamil Show" has now gone to a third iteration, called "Brewing With Style". I've only listened to one episode, but they take a BJCP style and talk about brewing it and compare several commercial examples to determine which one best represents the style. In some ways it's similar to the old Jamil show, but they don't provide a recipe for a beer the way they did back then; it's much more of a general discussion of a particular style of beer.

As for me, I miss CYBI. I always found that I learned a lot from the brewer interviews they did.

I miss the CYBI show too. I think I recall Jamil saying they stopped it because they were having a hard time finding brewers willing to share recipes.

And regarding the Eagle Rock recipe just posted above, I've had it at the brewery and it's great. A very drinkable pale ale. My sense is the 'X' or extra pale means lighter in color than a normal apa.

I miss the CYBI show too. I think I recall Jamil saying they stopped it because they were having a hard time finding brewers willing to share recipes.
Not to split hairs but I think Justin said that the brewer were to busy to discuss the recipes but regardless no CYBI :(

This thread is awesome! Good work! Any others like this out there? Also can anyone suggest a really good Belgian strong dark ale preferably on the dryer side?

Thanks Eric

Curious, why isn't this a sticky??

Amen. I vote STICKY

Stick it (please)!

my vote as well:)

Sticky +9000!

I say stick it too!

Sticky!!!

What he said!

Sticky icky

Stuck. Better late then never.

If anyone has any additions, let me know and I can add to the OP.

Because I am unable to edit old posts and the list of CYBI recipes is quite long, I am starting a new thread for the database. Feel free to subscribe if this interests you by clicking on "thread tools" above; no need to reply merely to say that you have done so. Here are the recipe threads, in alphabetical order:

8 Wired iStout
21st Amendment Back in Black IPA
Anderson Valley Boont Amber
Avery Maharaja
Ballast Point Calico Amber
Big Sky Moose Drool
Black Sheep Riggwelter
Bridge Road Biere De Garde
The Bruery Rugbrod
Captain Lawrence Smoked Porter
Captain Lawrence Xtra Gold
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Deschutes Obsidian Stout
Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA
Eagle Rock Revolution XPA
Epic Pale Ale
Firestone Walker Double Barrel
Firestone Walker - Mission Street Pale Ale
Firestone Walker Pale 31
Firestone Walker Union Jack
Firestone Walker - Walker's Reserve
Fish Brewing Leavenworth Eight Mile Alt
Fuller's 1845
Fuller's ESB and London Pride
Flossmoor Station Pullman Brown
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Holgate Nut Brown Ale
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere
Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura
Lagunitas Brown Shugga
Lagunitas Censored Ale
Lagunitas IPA
Lagunitas Maximus
Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin
Magic Hat Number 9
Magic Hat Roxy Rolles
Meantime IPA
Meantime Porter
Nebraska Brewing Cardinal Pale Ale
Nogne 100
Nogne Porter
Oskar Blues Gordon
Rogue Daddy's Little Helper
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Stone Levitation
Stone Old Guardian
Terrapin Wake N Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Wychwood Hobgoblin

Just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of Jamil and Tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the BN website, or subscribe on iTunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on The Brewing Network. I own both of Jamil's books and reference them regularly. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, Northern Brewer.

Thanks.

Eric

Because I am unable to edit old posts and the list of CYBI recipes is quite long, I am starting a new thread for the database. Feel free to subscribe if this interests you by clicking on "thread tools" above; no need to reply merely to say that you have done so. Here are the recipe threads, in alphabetical order:

8 Wired iStout
21st Amendment Back in Black IPA
Anderson Valley Boont Amber
Avery Maharaja
Ballast Point Calico Amber
Big Sky Moose Drool
Black Sheep Riggwelter
Bridge Road Biere De Garde
The Bruery Rugbrod
Captain Lawrence Smoked Porter
Captain Lawrence Xtra Gold
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale
Deschutes Obsidian Stout
Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA
Eagle Rock Revolution XPA
Epic Pale Ale
Firestone Walker Double Barrel
Firestone Walker - Mission Street Pale Ale
Firestone Walker Pale 31
Firestone Walker Union Jack
Firestone Walker - Walker's Reserve
Fish Brewing Leavenworth Eight Mile Alt
Fuller's 1845
Fuller's ESB and London Pride
Flossmoor Station Pullman Brown
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Holgate Nut Brown Ale
Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere
Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura
Lagunitas Brown Shugga
Lagunitas Censored Ale
Lagunitas IPA
Lagunitas Maximus
Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin
Magic Hat Number 9
Magic Hat Roxy Rolles
Meantime IPA
Meantime Porter
Nebraska Brewing Cardinal Pale Ale
Nogne 100
Nogne Porter
Oskar Blues Gordon
Rogue Daddy's Little Helper
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Rogue Shakespeare Stout
Stone Arrogant Bastard
Stone Levitation
Stone Old Guardian
Terrapin Wake N Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Terrapin Rye Pale Ale
Wychwood Hobgoblin

Just a quick reminder that all of this information is possible because of the hard work of Jamil and Tasty. Please listen to the show, whether live, on the BN website, or subscribe on iTunes. I credit much of my progress as a brewer to listening to the shows on The Brewing Network. I own both of Jamil's books and reference them regularly. If you enjoy those shows and the information, please consider donating. Also, please support the show's sponsor, Northern Brewer.

Thanks.

Eric
Thanks for doing this. Has anyone seen any attempted clone recipes for any of the Other Half DIPA’s?

Thanks again!

Back