Aeration system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rapt0rBrown

Reaction score
So after reading, I am ready to start aerating my wort. I have two questions has anyone done a DIY that is happy with the results or any swear by their store bought system?

On a side note, I have seen systems that use an air pump and others that use pure O2 from a tank. Anyone know what the advantages and disadvantages would be?

Thank you in advance.
-Andrew

I use an in-line airstone that is part of my thermometer assembly coming out of my Plate Chiller. It adds oxygen as the wort goes into the fermenter.

Air Pumps add atmospheric air which is 21% O2. The tanks are O2.

I have read that you can only get so much oxygen dissolved into wort with the air stone. Which is what I am currently using. You need a higher concentration with higher gravity beers so the yeast get a good start. Be careful though, it depends on the strain but this level of aeration will cause you to need a blowoff for the first couple of days of fermentation. We are going to move towards using O2 soon. Will let you know how that goes.

I have both, with the Air pump, I needed to use a new stone with every batch, I didn't have a heppa filter and caught lot's of infections from the air and the old air stone. The O2 works much better, till you have to clean the sintered stone, I suggest you boil the sintered stone to clean it up.

yodalegomaster said:
I have both, with the Air pump, I needed to use a new stone with every batch, I didn't have a heppa filter and caught lot's of infections from the air and the old air stone. The O2 works much better, till you have to clean the sintered stone, I suggest you boil the sintered stone to clean it up.

Drop it in the boil 5 minutes before flameout.

So it sounds like using the O2 is the best choice. Does anyone have a store bought one they would suggest? I have check a couple of online places and haven't had much luck finding reviews.

go to home depot/lowes and check in the welding section near where you find solder, propane torches etcetera. I think they are red canisters.

Back