Home Depot Chest Freezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usafbeach

Reaction score
Hey all,

After two unimpressive brews last winter, I've come to appreciate the value in a temperature controlled fermentation setup. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, the GE 7.0 CF chest freezer is what I'm leaning towards as it should fit two carboys in it and I'd like the flexibility of making double batches (and it's about as big as I can go in my current apartment and still have SWMBO sign off on it).

I've seen in previous threads that these go on sale from time to time... I was wondering if anybody had any idea if Home Depot's sales on these were a seasonal type thing?

I know going used off CL would probably be the cheapest route, but I don't have a truck, and Home Depot will deliver for free...

what kind of vehicle do you have? If you ahve a hatch you should still be able to move it. Just tie the hatch down.

I know going used off CL would probably be the cheapest route, but I don't have a truck, and Home Depot will deliver for free...

That's why I ended up with a Holiday 7.0 from Lowes.

what kind of vehicle do you have? If you ahve a hatch you should still be able to move it. Just tie the hatch down.

I'd imagine you need a truck, cargo van or minivan with a huge lift gate to move a chest freezer. I measured my roommate's Jeep and another friend's Explorer and there was no way a 7 cu.ft. freezer would fit.

I drive a Volvo. A smallish one. SWMBO has an Accord. There's no way a freezer is fitting in either. I've given extensive consideration to the logistics :)

It might just have to be an early birthday gift for myself or something.

Compare prices with Lowes. Around here (NH) the post office has the moving kits that have 10% off at Lowes. I used one to get my 5 cu ft fermentation chest freezer...wish I had gone to 7 cu ft. Oh well.

Another option is renting a pickup truck. Uhaul trucks are only $20 plus mileage, so it can definitely be reasonable.

If you consider getting the freezer from lowes: when I got a freezer there, that was in stock in the store, they offered free next day delivery.

Hey all,

After two unimpressive brews last winter, I've come to appreciate the value in a temperature controlled fermentation setup. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, the GE 7.0 CF chest freezer is what I'm leaning towards as it should fit two carboys in it and I'd like the flexibility of making double batches (and it's about as big as I can go in my current apartment and still have SWMBO sign off on it).

I've seen in previous threads that these go on sale from time to time... I was wondering if anybody had any idea if Home Depot's sales on these were a seasonal type thing?

Just a heads up...Sam's Club has this same freezer for a $198...so I would get Home Depot to price match, also I would go to the post office and get there free moving packet...it has a 10% discount in it.
Os for Craigslist, I went this route, worked great for a couple of years and then crapped out....so for the extra $80 get something new and worry free!

I don't know as I use mine for kegs. I would think you could get 2 carboys on the bottom, but I'll take a look tonight and take some measurements.

They probably would, but if you have time I'd be in your debt. :mug:

I just ordered this from Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=1079173&catalogId=10051

It's free delivery. The only downside is it won't be here until late next week.

That's the one I bought, and seems to be very popular here on the forum.

One note ... 3 commercial sixths won't fit on the floor ... not a big deal for most folks on this forum (because several folks have been able to fit 3 cornies on the floor), but it was a big disappointment for me, especially since I had already built my collar/top before I realized it.

Does it fit 2 better bottles/carboys?

I wasn't able to get entirely accurate measurements (gas lines and kegs everywhere), so I'm erring on the side of being too small. The bottom on my Holiday 7.0 measure approximately 15x23.

I wasn't able to get entirely accurate measurements (gas lines and kegs everywhere), so I'm erring on the side of being too small. The bottom on my Holiday 7.0 measure approximately 15x23.

You rock! BetterBottles are only ~10.5" in diameter, so 2 should fit with room to spare. Thanks IffyG!

I'll have to measure for the carboys, but I can get 4 cornies in mine. Not all of mine are the same size I found, only the 8 1/2" ones go in together otherwise I have to put one up with the CO2 tank. I put an 8" collar on mine. Got mine from Lowes with free delivery. If you were to put a collar on it you could probably get one better bottle on the hump.

Spartan1979 said:
Lowes usually has a truck you can rent for $19 for 75 minutes.

+1. You should still be able to get out for 1/2 of retail cost with renting a truck and shooing craigslist list. It took 2 months but I got a 10 cu ft freezer and a digital temp controler for $140. Would have been over $400 new.

I got my 9 cf model from Lowes and love it. The 7' has to stay in the house. It isn't insulated well enough for long term garage use. I went in for the 7' and left with the 9'. I purchased the floor model that had a small dent in it and got $100 off. Room for a couple of batches and stir plate and a couple of other small bottles Best purchase I've made in a long time. 2 carboys lagering as we speak.
Now I want another so I can do ales and lagers at the same time

I ended up with the Holiday 7.0 from Lowes ($189 minus military discount and free shipping) and I'm hopeful that it's a good purchase. I'm waiting on the temp controller from Hong Kong before I can finish my DIY thermometer for it, but it does easily my better bottle and ale pail with some room to spare.

Back