Penrose Kettle and False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkyDung

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i'm currently in the (slow) process of upgrading to an all grain system and just purchased a Penrose Kettle (not yet shipped but hopefully soon). I'm still slamming my head against the wall for not having purchased it just a few days before they increased the price. Man, I'm a cheap ass :cross:

Anyways, Has anyone had luck getting a false bottom to fit in these kettles? There was a website that offered custom made false bottoms but I can't remember which site it was.

Great find! It is possible, but not sure if I want to jump on it right away. Once I get my kettle I'll be sure to check my LHBS before I try this one out.

The only thing preventing from getting this now is not knowing whether the legs on the false bottom would be above the spigot or not. Thanks SlickWilly

I know this is an older post, but I need a new kettle and am looking at the penrose kettle. Does anyone know what false bottom works with this kettle?

There is a member on here who makes some of the best false bottoms I have ever seen... Jaybird, I think it is.

I know this is an older post, but I need a new kettle and am looking at the penrose kettle. Does anyone know what false bottom works with this kettle?
Swagman cut us a 22.25" with a plasma cutter, and I think it was a competitive price. Shoot him a message and ask. Good luck!

With my penrose kettle it isn't a perfect circle, there are some points where the inner diameter is 15.25'' and others where it is 15.8''. Not sure if this would be a huge issue but i thought it'd be helpful to know. I was thinking about getting a false bottom for mine when i was first looking at it but after i got it and realized the ID can vary i decided not to get a false bottom, it's a great kettle though i love it.

With my penrose kettle it isn't a perfect circle, there are some points where the inner diameter is 15.25'' and others where it is 15.8''. Not sure if this would be a huge issue but i thought it'd be helpful to know. I was thinking about getting a false bottom for mine when i was first looking at it but after i got it and realized the ID can vary i decided not to get a false bottom, it's a great kettle though i love it.

So what are you doing about filtering hop material. I use whole hops, can anyone offer me a solution that works with the Penrose kettle?

Thanks Willy. I use a lot of hops in my IPA (hop bursting), so the tea infuser wouldn't work for me. Would a bazooka screen get clogged with whole hops?

I havn't used whole hops yet so i wouldn't know for sure but i have read posts on other threads that said the bazooka screen works well with whole hops.

So what are you doing about filtering hop material. I use whole hops, can anyone offer me a solution that works with the Penrose kettle?
If I may....
I do offer a "hop stopper" on my site. They are used in flat bottom kettles like the Penrose and come in 10, 12, 13 and 15"... it is a false bottom that is designed for the "odd ball" sized and flat bottom kettles. They are 1.25" tall, The hole for the dip tube can go anywhere you want and just use a stainless washer and hose clamp on the dip tube to push the false bottom down to the bottom and keep it from lifting. I don't have the 13 and the 15 on the site yet but should in a day or 2.
Cheers
Jay

Back