Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a nice reminder about seasonings and rubs. Maybe something you never knew...

Many years ago I realized that trying to include salt in a rub was hit or miss - either way under or way over. Leave salt out of a rub. Salt to taste, then adding rub is the way to go!

Slow grilled/smoked some chicken legs tonight with a few good chunks of pecan. Finished with some chipotle raspberry sauce. Mmm.

Bone-in Boston butt last night...turned out great but port shoulders just have to much fat in the so I think I'm done cooking them.

I'm smoking a pork belly this weekend which I've been curing for about a week in order to make bacon after being inspired by an episode of Chop and Brew. This will be my first time makin' bacon. :)

Bone-in Boston butt last night...turned out great but port shoulders just have to much fat in the so I think I'm done cooking them.

Anytime I smoke a Pork Butt I cut all the fat cap off because I also think there's too much fat.

Brisket looks yummy! Not sure what's up with my local grocer. Seem to only have 1.25.1.5# briskets. Had to buy a couple to have a decent meal tomorrow.

I'm smoking a pork butt tomorrow for the 1st time. I've seen conflicting recommendations on the skin: leave it on, score it, take it off, and take it off to apply a rub and tie it back on. Any of you more experienced butt smokers have a preference?

All the Pork Butts I've smoked do not have skin. They have had a fat cap that I remove. There's enough marbled fat without the fat cap.

I would remove the skin and the fat layer smoke can not penitrare through the fat. I cook my pork but an hour per pound you need to get the internal temp up to 190 so the fat and cartilage will render. Good luck I'm sure it will turn out awesome.

Brisket looks yummy! Not sure what's up with my local grocer. Seem to only have 1.25.1.5# briskets. Had to buy a couple to have a decent meal tomorrow.

I would be afraid to smoke a brisket that small. I think it would dry out before it reaches finished temp.

I would guess a brisket that size was meant to go in a slow cooker.

How did it turn out ?

I'm smoking a pork butt tomorrow for the 1st time. I've seen conflicting recommendations on the skin: leave it on, score it, take it off, and take it off to apply a rub and tie it back on. Any of you more experienced butt smokers have a preference?

Remove the skin, trim the fat down to less than 1/4. You got a picnic shoulder. They make good BBQ.

I would remove the skin and the fat layer smoke can not penitrare through the fat. I cook my pork but an hour per pound you need to get the internal temp up to 190 so the fat and cartilage will render. Good luck I'm sure it will turn out awesome.

I usually push my butts over 200. Basically since you have one that's bone in cook it til 190+ and pull it when the bone releases itself with a gentle twist. BBQ is fickle in that way. It's done when it's done, not at q specific temperature.
On the plus side a pork butt is fatty enough to be forgiving. Cook 225-255 until it's ready. The lower the temperature while the meat is cold the more smoke you get.

Thanks for the pointers to all who chipped in. It is trimmed, slathered w/mustard, dry rubbed & waiting in the fridge for morning alarm. $0.99/lb...couldn't pass it up.

Remove the skin, trim the fat down to less than 1/4. You got a picnic shoulder. They make good BBQ.

I usually push my butts over 200. Basically since you have one that's bone in cook it til 190+ and pull it when the bone releases itself with a gentle twist. BBQ is fickle in that way. It's done when it's done, not at q specific temperature.
On the plus side a pork butt is fatty enough to be forgiving. Cook 225-255 until it's ready. The lower the temperature while the meat is cold the more smoke you get.

+1. Time per lb only tells you when to start checking for doneness. I use a wood skewer to probe around. If it slips in everywhere I Ck like a hot knife thru butter it's done. If I feel any resistance any where I let it go another 30-45 min and Ck again. Repeat as necessary.

I would be afraid to smoke a brisket that small. I think it would dry out before it reaches finished temp.

I would guess a brisket that size was meant to go in a slow cooker.

How did it turn out ?

It turned out ok, but was a little dry. It got done pretty quick. At about 175 I wrapped it. They usually carry 2-3# briskets which cook up nice. I probably won't buy ones that small again. I need to find a better source for my briskets. The other grocer in town and the local butcher do not carry them at all.:(

It turned out ok, but was a little dry. It got done pretty quick. At about 175 I wrapped it. They usually carry 2-3# briskets which cook up nice. I probably won't buy ones that small again. I need to find a better source for my briskets. The other grocer in town and the local butcher do not carry them at all.:(

Dang what kinda butcher/where do you live that they wouldn't carry a brisket? You the only one in town that wants that?

Dang what kinda butcher/where do you live that they wouldn't carry a brisket? You the only one in town that wants that?

I have the same problem as OldSkewl,
Most local grocery stores or supermarkets around me cater to the people that would not know what to do with a 15lb brisket.

I always go to a local butcher shop. I have one butcher that has them date stamped and you can go in the back and pick out whatever aged brisket and size you want. He will only let you in the back if you promise him it will be cooked over wood / charcoal. :D

I really want to start grilling and BBQing more, particularly smoking. Right now I only have Weber Genesis(got a killer deal, only $200).

Should I start by trying to do some smoking on that? I hear it can be a real PITA. I can't really justify an expensive smoker right now, but if you guys know of a good cheap-o, I could swing that.

Any suggestions?

I really want to start grilling and BBQing more, particularly smoking. Right now I only have Weber Genesis(got a killer deal, only $200).

Should I start by trying to do some smoking on that? I hear it can be a real PITA. I can't really justify an expensive smoker right now, but if you guys know of a good cheap-o, I could swing that.

Any suggestions?

I started off on a Char-Griller with a side fire box.
This is a great BBQ to start with. It will give you experience in temperature control and offset smoking. You should be able to pick one up for under $200 new. Just make sure you get the side fire box with it.

You can make some good BBQ on it.
I did two large pork shoulders that took 23 hours to smoke. It's great starting a fire early in the morning to prepare tomorrows lunch.

Had to dig deep to find some old pictures.
I really miss this grill.

I started off on a Char-Griller with a side fire box.

This is a great BBQ to start with. It will give you experience in temperature control and offset smoking. You should be able to pick one up for under $200 new. Just make sure you get the side fire box with it.

You can make some good BBQ on it.

I did two large pork shoulders that took 23 hours to smoke. It's great starting a fire early in the morning to prepare tomorrows lunch.

Had to dig deep to find some old pictures.

I really miss this grill.

Thanks that looks like a great starter option.

I was going to try starting on my grill, but it looks like people can't get the Genesis to rest below 325 without constantly toying with it

I'll put a plug in for the mes 30, I paid 150 and it was delivered 2 days later on Amazon Prime. I know a lot of people don't like Electric but it is so easy to use. Plus you can always use a gas or charcoal grill to smoke if you want to. Near 3000 positive reviews, to me its a no brainer. My cousins smoker is propane and you put coals on the fire. I use my smoker A LOT, there's no way I would get that done with charcoal. I had a pork butt a month ago that came from a $1,500 auto Pellet fed smoker. It wasn't near as good as mine. For a traditional route you'll get great suggestions here. To each their own. Cheers

View attachment 1469982884582.jpg

Hey Applescrap,
I agree 100%. Nothing wrong with an electric smoker. I have a Bradley Digital in my collection that I like to use when I need to set it and forget it. It does a great job! It is also the best smoker I have for making beef jerkey hands down. Perfect temp and smoke control.

I like the best of both worlds because there is also something fun about playing with fire.

Any suggestions?
I had to replace the element in my electric Masterbuilt. While out of service, I used my old Weber propane 2 burner grill: foil-wrapped wood chips on top of front flavorizer bar under grill grate (one soaked, one dry) with a pan of water and cider vinegar in top. The ribs went on the back. Front burner set on low, back burner off. Was able to get sustained smoke and keep temps under 250.

Pretty ghetto, but they came out great. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Any suggestions?

I started smoking with a Weber Genesis. First baby back ribs and then chicken leg quarters. I found the best chip holders were small cast iron pans. The pans held heat well to keep the smoke going with low applied heat. I used small wood chips and pellets. The cast iron pans were placed on the flavor bars under the grill grates.

Added a second warming rack so all the meat being smoked would be side by side rather than over and under. Removed the grates with this set up to make changing the chip pans super easy. Was easy to do 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters with the extra warming rack. Second picture of chicken on doubled up warming racks won't upload.

P331resized.jpg

I started smoking with a Weber Genesis. First baby back ribs and then chicken leg quarters. I found the best chip holders were small cast iron pans. The pans held heat well to keep the smoke going with low applied heat. I used small wood chips and pellets. The cast iron pans were placed on the flavor bars under the grill grates.

Added a second warming rack so all the meat being smoked would be side by side rather than over and under. Removed the grates with this set up to make changing the chip pans super easy. Was easy to do 10 pounds of chicken leg quarters with the extra warming rack. Second picture of chicken on doubled up warming racks won't upload.

So I've heard a lot about the differing temps between the top of the grill and the grates in regard to going that low in a regular grill. If I'm putting everything up on the racks, the built in thermometer shouldn't be too far off, right? As opposed to if I had the food on the cast-iron grates.

I'm looking to pick up a little cast-iron smoker box for $10 for the grill, just to see if I'll enjoy it (who am I kidding).

I just got the Thermpro dual probe remote temperature reporting unit for about $50. using it for 2nd time today. Huge quality of life upgrade.

So I've heard a lot about the differing temps between the top of the grill and the grates in regard to going that low in a regular grill. If I'm putting everything up on the racks, the built in thermometer shouldn't be too far off, right? As opposed to if I had the food on the cast-iron grates.

I'm looking to pick up a little cast-iron smoker box for $10 for the grill, just to see if I'll enjoy it (who am I kidding).

I got a stainless steel box with holes in it on Amazon for $9. Tin foil pouches work well too but you need a way to add it easily. Removing a grate is a great idea. My cheap Sur La tab thermometer measures inside grill temp and inside meat temp. To smoke on your gas grill warm it up then turn all burners off but one. Once you get all your burners off and 1 as low as it will go that is your bottom temperature. You can't go any lower than that. You could also add charcoal with your chips and a gas grill to give you some charcoal flavor. Which come to think of it is a major advantage of a gas grill. I've been known to cook pork butt in 3 hours on gas grills at a higher temp. They're not as Smoky but they're every bit as juicy. In the winter my gas grill Cooks a little slower. My smoker I use all winter long and have used it in negative temperatures.
One last thought here when smoking on your gas grill, add the sugar from rub with 30 minutes left because if it's at a higher temp it will burn. Really The Best is Both Worlds as stated above, I would like a green egg as well, but honestly it has never crossed my mind since I got the smoker.

Back