Do I have problem with corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I just kegged my beer and connected the beer and co2 line. I have had it going for about four hours now. I do not notice any beer being pushed into the beer line. I understand the beer will take some time to carbonate but how long before beer will flow out.

Is it too soon for this? I don't remember if this happened on my last keg.

Thanks,

Mike

... it'll be pushed into the line once you release the air that is presently occupying the space in the line.

is there CO2 in the tank? are you sure the CO2 tank is open? is the pressure gauge on the regulator reading anything? is the output valve on the regulator open? is the gas in connector pushed down all the way? is the beer out connector pushed down all the way? do you hear a constant hissing coming from the keg when the gas is on?

yes - co2 in tank, pressure in tank, tank is reading 10 psi. The output valve is open. I have the connectors hooked on right. I don't hear a constant hissing. Only when I increase the pressure and then it sops in a few seconds.

Ok, this is what I discovered. My CO2 line has about a tablespoon of beer in it. I am not sure if this is causing the problem. The rest of connections seem to be attached correctly.

Is it possible the dip stick is clogged ? I am getting co2 in tank. I can tell because when I pull release valve co2 comes purging out.

How should I proceed? Should I just disconnect everything and open corny and check dip stick? I can't think of anything else that could be the problem. I just used this corny and everything was working perfect.

Did you take the poppet valves out when you cleaned the keg? If so, how hard did you mash it in when you reassembled? Is it possible you mashed it down so hard the valve cannot open?

Just a thought.

???

I think I will disassemble everything and reassemble. Hopefully that clears the problem. Is that about the only think I can do ?

Did you pull your faucet... As in, try to pour a beer... the air will push out and beer will fill the line... I'm almost positive the first guy said this....

Since you have beer in the gas line, do you have a regulator with a check valve? If not, it is possible that beer got into the regulator itself and that's what's causing the problem.

How did the dissassembling/reassembling go?

You have pressure in the keg - Because you said pulling the purge valve lets gas out.

So, It's got to be on the output side of the keg.

Inspect your out QD and beer line/faucet. Make sure everything is cool there. If it is, you have to look at the post/poppit/dip tube.

Unhook the gas, release the pressure, and disassemble the out post. Remove the poppit from the post, and the dip tube from the keg. Clean and sanitize them, and reassemble.

Hook everything up again, and see what happens.

Oh, one other thing to check (Because you have beer in the gas line)
Make sure you didn't get the dip tubes crossed. If you put the long one on the gas side, you'll get no beer from the tap, and beer in your regulator ;)

I have had 2 liquid qd's that were defective. The hole going out to the line was not properly formed during manufacturing. Try a new disconnect.

Oh, one other thing to check (Because you have beer in the gas line)
Make sure you didn't get the dip tubes crossed. If you put the long one on the gas side, you'll get no beer from the tap, and beer in your regulator ;)

This is the first thing that came to my mind. I bought a used cornie that was assembled that way. The side labeled 'out' had the short dip tube on it. I obviously discovered it before beer went in, but it makes me double check every time I assemble a keg.

Ok, Problem solved. I had sediment clogged in dip tube and poppit valve. I guess this was caused when I was shaking the corny while force carbing.

Next problem,

I tasted beer after fixing problem and the taste is very bitter and yeasty tasting. Will this get better as the sediment drops and when the beer clears up? This is my second brew, so as you can see, I am a lack experience.

Ok, Problem solved. I had sediment clogged in dip tube and poppit valve. I guess this was caused when I was shaking the corny while force carbing.

Next problem,

I tasted beer after fixing problem and the taste is very bitter and yeasty tasting. Will this get better as the sediment drops and when the beer clears up? This is my second brew, so as you can see, I am a lack experience.

In a word, yes....

The sediment and yeast need to have time to settle down and chill out... which is why a lot of folks like to let the carb process be slow and steady... It gives everything a chance to pack itself down

Next problem,

Decreasing the time required to carbonate your beer, does not decrease the time required for your beer to get good!

Green beer is green beer.

Back