Looking for a clean, floculating ale yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerBraumeister

Reaction score
Hi

Is there a yeast that combines the cleanliness of the American cal ale strain with the flocculation of the British strains?

Regards, Der Braumeister

I suspect American Ale II (Wyeast 1272) would be a fair compromise.

I'm drinking a pale ale I made with WLP051, which is the same as Wyeast 1272, and I'll vouch for that. Ferment it on the cool side (66 or so) and it's clean, with nice malt character and nice flocculation. A touch less attenuative than the WLP001/Wyeast 1056/S-05, but more flocculant and, in my opinion, better for session ales, which the Chico strain dries out too much for my liking.

All of which is to say, +1.

I can tell you that pacman is more flocculent then WLP001. If you pitch lots of pacman and conduct a good fermentation the yeast gets in, get's out, and drops out.

I was looking for the same thing as you, and I ordered up WLP007.

But here is the answer you may not be looking for:

nottingham dry ale yeast

I just ran a starter of WLP007. That stuff is amazing with regard to falling out of suspension. I stirplated mine for 24 hours. At the end of 24 hours what had been a fine cloudyness was instead large >millimeter sized chunks whizzing around. I turned off the plate and within 5 mins the starter wort looked pretty clear. It settled really fast.

Another vote for nottingham.

One thing I did notice w/ it, however, is that it might be prone to throw banana esters when using sugar adjuncts. I can't say that for sure because there were other factors that could have contributed to these flavors when it happened to me. But my gut feeling is that the sugar was the main culprit.

Mmmm....was looking at the Wyeast equivalent of WLP007....which is the 1098/1099. Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread) does have high flocculation, but pretty mediocre attenuation and also has some fruity characteristics, so maybe not that clean.

I think you'd be fine to use one of the flocculent British strains - Wyeast 1178 (Ringwood) or 1968 (London ESB), say - and ferment as cool as possible. Yes, it'd be a bit on the fruity side compared to 1056, but just because a beer is a little fruity doesn't mean it isn't clean. And fermented cold, these strains really aren't that fruity. And man, do they flocculate.

I just pitched AHS's new Greenbelt into an American Amber this afternoon. It is supposed to be a clean, highly flocculant American Ale strain. I will let you know how it turns out in a week or so.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did try the S04 in a pale ale when I did a Mirror Pond Clone. During bottling the smell of peach was really overwhelming. I thought the batch was ruined, but it has aged out by now and the beer is almost crystal clear.

I have not tried Nottingham, but I will do as soon as the "bad batch" threads start moving down the pages of the forum...

Im currently fermenting a split batch of a dead guy clone with S05 and 1056. I think I will probably try a split batch of 1098 and s05 in near future. I will also try to get me some packman and american ale II.

I don't have a fermentation chamber but I ferment in a cellar which is built as a bomb shelter. The ambient temperature is rock steady at about 64-65 F.

How about WLP028 Scottish Ale yeast or the Wyeast equivalent? That's a nice strain from across the pond that doesn't throw a lot of esters like the English stuff.

I did a strong scotch ale with the Wyeast version last year. It was a No Chill, without a lot of hops, and it came out CRYSTAL CLEAR after 3-4 week primary, no secondary, no cold crash and 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

+1 Nottingham. It's clean, high floc, & good attenuation. FYI, the Nottingham currently shipping to brewshops is a brand new lot (1080472V, exp 7/2012.) I stocked up this week and plan to continue pitching.

Going forward I plan to evaluate each pack after re-hydrating. As long as the re-hydrated yeast appears active and has that fresh bready smell it's making beer. Any pack that doesn't pass that inspection will get tossed and I'll re-hydrate another pack.

YMMV but with with so many positives I'm still in. :)

PS: DerBraumeister, I'm jealous of the bomb shelter. Sounds like a perfect Ale cave!

How about WLP028 Scottish Ale yeast or the Wyeast equivalent? That's a nice strain from across the pond that doesn't throw a lot of esters like the English stuff.

I did a strong scotch ale with the Wyeast version last year. It was a No Chill, without a lot of hops, and it came out CRYSTAL CLEAR after 3-4 week primary, no secondary, no cold crash and 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

I use the Edinburgh a lot now and agree - fermented at the low end of the temp range, it is clean and one of its admirable qualities for my brewing is that its highly flocculent. It forms a nice firm yeast cake, too. Clears well.

Another vote for Edinburgh WLP028. I've used it on a few beers and they are crystal clear and it floccs out bigtime. My pumpkin looked filtered when I transferred off the yeast. If you look at the White Labs site it actually talks about it being extremely similar to WLP001.

Look no further than Wyeast 1028, London Ale. I have started using it for nearly all of my British and American beers. It is an aboslutely spectacular attenuator to. I consistently get about 80% attenuation with it. It finishes out in one week. Clean. Beer is clear in 2 weeks, but I typically bottle at 3 weeks. Flavor is really nice.

I honestly can't beleive nobody has mentioned this one yet.

Look no further than Wyeast 1028, London Ale. I have started using it for nearly all of my British and American beers. It is an aboslutely spectacular attenuator to. I consistently get about 80% attenuation with it. It finishes out in one week. Clean. Beer is clear in 2 weeks, but I typically bottle at 3 weeks. Flavor is really nice.

Wyeast website considers 1028 to be medium-low flocculation....how have you found it?

i came here to say this. 1028 kicks ass!! i picked it up on recommendation from my LHBS and your review is spot-on.

Back