Extra Hard Lemonade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to get a batch started so its ready for summer.
For clarification please:

*Instead of using 10 lbs of regular sugar wouldnt it be better to use Dextrose?
It should dissolve way better than cane sugar

*10 lbs of sugar/dextrose sounds like a lot.
Are we sure we need this much?

*Yeast
Is Montrachet the best choice, it seems some have a slow ferment on this?
Is there a better choice?

*Is everyone adding the limeade or have you done just straight lemonade?

I am doing a 1 gallon trial with just plain lemonade concentrate. I scaled everything down from the original recipe with a packet of Red Star Montrachet. I have a layer of krausen and she's bubbling away. The airlock bubbles maybe 1-2 min apart. My SG was 1.080.

I've had mine in the primary for 13 days now and it's still vigorously bubbling. In anyone's opinion...should I wait for the bubbling to slow down or rack to secondary after a certain gravity?

I always do it to taste...taste it and see if you like where it is. Mine is always pretty much there at around 19 days.

I tried it last night...my OG was 1.080 and 13 days later it was 1.070 so not much change. I tasted decent, a little tart. I'll give it some more time...

I'm going to try the original recipe on the 18th of July. This will be my first batch of any brew. Fingers are crossed.

Just bought the ingredients today. Seven cans of Wallyworld lemonade concentrate, 3 limeade, 10 lbs. sugar and a packet of EC-1118. I plan to rehydrate with Go-Ferm and add some must to the yeast before pitching, as this thread has lots of posts about stuck fermentations.

I've had a set back and will be making it next weekend instead. This weekend is a Stir Plate Project weekend.

Just made my batch this morning with 7 cans lemonade conc, 3 cans limeade conc, 10 lbs sugar. Added 1 tbsp each of yeast nutrient and energizer, then topped it with water to about 6 gallons. O.G. was 1.120. Rehydrated EC-1118 with Go-Ferm, then added some must to the rehydrated yeast. Pitched at 80F, then brought it down to 75.

About 22 hours after pitching. There's a thin layer of krausen, approx. 1/8" thick. Airlock is bubbling about once every 20-30 seconds.

XHL1_zpsscf5xrq1.jpg

A couple days after pitching, the airlock was showing good activity. About 1 bubble per second. This went on for a few more days, then it tapered off.

I took a gravity reading today, after 20 days in primary. It's only down to 1.080 (OG was 1.120). I repitched with another packet of EC-1118 that I rehydrated with Go-Ferm.

Hopefully this one will keep going.

Three days after repitching with 1118, and not a bit of activity in the airlock. Too acidic for the yeast to survive. I'll give it some more time, but it looks more and more like I'll be pouring it down the drain.

Made this up on Sunday. Problem is it is at my father in laws and I have no pics. Lol he says it is bubbling, so that's a plus.

I have had mine in carboy for several months.
Ive had to repitch once.
Gravity is slowly moving however I have no hopes this will ever be done.
Im so dissappointed.
It tastes good just no detectable alcohol.
Not sure what to do at this point.

Mine seems to be dead. I have moved it to the secondary last Sunday. As this is my first ever batch of anything i have a question. Should i bottle it or wait the 2 weeks?

Mine has been fermenting slowly but steadily for the past couple weeks, about 1 bubble every 6-8 sec. I took a gravity reading, 1.062, down from 1.074 two weeks ago. So less then 1 gravity point per day. The temp has been a steady 70-72F all along.

I plan to make a starter with another packet of 1118 and hope the third time is the charm.

I don't know Wray the FG is. I got the hydrometer after the bottling. It didn't seem to carbonated but I'll know more on Saturday when I Crack one open.

No priming sugars or back sweeting needed.

Was there any carbonation from continuing fermentation, or do you think your FG really bottomed out before bottling? I know you didn't get a gravity reading then.

Mine's still chugging away, very slowly. I was planning to carb when I bottle (which may be Thanksgiving at this rate), but I'm concerned about bottle bombs if there is still a little residual fermentation going on. I'll have to make absolutely sure that ferm is done.

But if it tastes good uncarbonated I might just bottle as-is once I know it has hit FG. I checked last week and it's down to 1.032.

It's is very carbonated. I waited 3 weeks for bottling bcuz I went out of town and couldn't bottle when I wanted to.

I had 1 bomb, that is what got me to check.

It taste wonderful

I made skeeter pee years ago using the original recipe.
I am now looking to make it and carb it.

Has any one made it using an ale yeast?
And following a typical beer brew & prime sugar schedule?
I am weary of fermenting to dry and then sweetening and carbing especially using wine yeast. I don't want to use the fake sugar as sweetener

Was thinking of using either 04 or notty!

Any Thoughts ?

Just got all the ingredients I need for this, plan to start it Monday. Can't believe how cheap everything was, less than $30 for everything.

Not sure if I would want to chance Nottingham on this. I think the finished alcohol level is a bit too high so you would need a wine yeast that can go to the teens.

But then again, having the Nottingham do its best and leave some sugar behind might add some more flavour. It might be a little less percentage in the end.

I would be happy for SOMEONE ELSE to try this.

Tom

I made a batch today that is chugging along in my basement now. I plan to let it go until the 20th, then stabilize and keg.

Hard Raspberry Lemonade
  • 5 cans raspberry lemonade
  • 5 cans lemonade
  • 3 lbs cane sugar
  • 1 pkt Montrachet yeast
  • 2.5 tsp yeast energizer
  • Water to 5 gallons
  • 1 Whirlfloc tablet

I'll have it on draft along with a simple pilsner and wheat for a party on the 26tg.

Latest posts

Back