aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleAleMale

Reaction score
I just opened a bottle of my first ever beer. I made an IPA and it has been in bottles for a week now. I plan on letting it sit for at least 3 weeks, but I couldnt wait to taste it and see how it was coming. The actual beer looks and tastes good, but there is kind of a bitter aftertaste? MY questions are: what could cause the bitter aftertase? and will it go away as the beer ages in bottles? Thanks for the input.

PAM

Most likely one of your hops, but sometimes astringent flavors taste bitter. Since this was probably an extract batch, astringency isn't likely (unless you used columbus hops for bittering). I'd say hops & it will mellow.

i had this, and still have it in one of my beers.. give it more time in the bottle, it will fade a little.. im not sure what i did, some say its oxidation or yeast problems. whatever it is, give it a few more weeks and try it then...

Back