Today's brew day was not fun.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
So i brewed an amber ale this afternoon and i'm sure the end product is going to be very good, but oh the effort I put in for it. So I got a barley crusher over the weekend and I was looking forward to trying it out. I got out the BC and stuck it on top of the ferm bucket and started to crank away, well everything shifted and some grain ended on the ground. The bucket is too big. So i got a pot and it seemed like the cranking was going to take too long so I get a 10.8v drill and that puppy wouldn't budge with the graming in the hopper. So I just crushed by cranking. The brewing was going good untl I tried out my submersible pump. I hear the motor running but no water is coming out. I was so very pissed because I am truing to reduce the amount of work I am having to do ith the pump. My bum leg really aches after a brewing session. It aches now having to move that water around after collecting it in buckets from the chiller. To top it all off I can't find my hydrometer and the LHBS isn't open til wednesday. So i have no idea what the stas will show.

Thi beer better be good...

it was version 2 of a receipe that I made earlier and made a few tweaks.

I also gave half of the grist a 5 min head start as i did not mill all of my grain and noticed it when I dumped in the crushed grains and wondering why the mash was so watery. so i had to mill the rest and doughed that in about 5 or so min later.

I usually cool my wort with tap water to about 100 - 105. Then I use a sink/cooler of ice water and a $7 drill pump on my electric drill to finish at low 70s. Takes 20 to 30 min for a full (5.5 gal) boil.
Sorry to hear about the mill problems. I Plan on getting my BC soon, so thanks for the heads up.

After takinga sample i wish I hadn't found the hydrometer. Oh well it will still be beer.

I think the thing with the BC is it is a 5 gallon bucket and fermentation buckets are 6.5 or more so that is why I had the problem there.

To top it all off I can't find my hydrometer and the LHBS isn't open til wednesday.

Ahh Scotzins. I love the store, can't stand the hours. I left work 2 hours early last wednesday to get there and get my stuff for a couple of batches before they closed.

I could deal with the 2 days a week if they were open later in the evening. 10-5 wed and sat is just not convenient. Even still, I keep going back because it is a great place.

I'm assuming you know about Mr. steves also. They are open every day, and if you needed something in a pinch they should be there. I think they are open 4-7 M-f, and during the day sat and sun.

I hand cranked with my Barley Crusher for a few brews. I guess I was a glutton for punishment. I use my 12V cordless Milwaukee and it powers through the grain bill like a sumbitch. I've spilled my share of grain too. I use my bottling bucket lined with a plastic or paper bag, but you have to brace it well when you start grinding or the torque will tip everything.

Back