Going to be making my first beer soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean102385

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am going to be attempting to make my first batch of beer soon. My friends and I were wondering if you all had any suggestions for a good tasting beer for my first try. Any Suggestions will be appreciated.

I would definitely begin with an easy malt extract kit. You can probably get a good one from a local homebrew shop. I started with an easy English Ale and things are coming along nicely. Remember to sanitize everthing that comes in contact with your beer after the boil, and most importantly have a good time.

I started in October, and started with the recipe in the beginning section of John Palmer's How To Brew. It is a Pale Ale that uses Extract (Dry and LME) and also uses hops. Given what I know now, I feel that it was a great way to start out, and the beer came out great. I actually changed it a little when I made it based on some readings here (changed Hops and added a little more DME) but it was that recipe for all intents and purposes.

i see a few people asking what they should start with and i'd have to say, start with a beer style that you like!!! that way you know already what the style tastes like. it makes no sense to brew an ale if you have never had one(imagine that, someone whos never had an ale) or maybe you start with a porter and haven't ever had one. but thats just my buck fifty's worth on it.

justbrewit said:
it makes no sense to brew an ale if you have never had one(imagine that, someone whos never had an ale) or maybe you start with a porter and haven't ever had one. but thats just my buck fifty's worth on it.

Even if you've never had an ale before, I would still suggest an ale as a first attempt. Would you want to have your first attempt be with a lager? I certainly wouldn't expect a first time brewer to have the patience for that, nor the ability to properly lager it at the low temps required.

-walker

yeah, I get your point; Brew a beer that you will enjoy drinking and not some totally alien beverage you've never had before simply because it is 'easy' to make.

A guess we should ask sean102385 to help us help him.

Sean.. what is your favorite store-bought beer?

-walker

Sean, brew a batch of whatever ale you and your pals like to drink. When your bottles of homebrew have conditioned, and are ready to crack, throw a party. Have your mates bring a case of your favorite store-bought ale over. Do a comparison taste-test. Have fun with it.
Jeff

Make them bring microbrews to compare with. Don't want them getting away with the cheap swill. Even a first home brew should compare favorably with micros. After all any comparison to Bud Light is more an insult than compliment.:D

Pure extract is as simple as it gets but for just a tiny bit more effort you can add steepped grains in a little sock like bag and it really kicks the flavor up tremendously! If you can dip a teabag in water to make a cup of tea you can do this! Don't let the name scare you it's called a Mini Mash or Particial Mash.

If you like a nice malty beer go for "Brewers Best - German Altbier" Everything is in the box - extracts, a few oz. of grain, hops, yeast even the little teabag to put your grains and hops in... really easy I made this as my 2nd batch and that's only because my kit came with some pale ale and I had to order this online.

:D

sean102385 said:
Hi everyone, I am going to be attempting to make my first batch of beer soon. My friends and I were wondering if you all had any suggestions for a good tasting beer for my first try. Any Suggestions will be appreciated.

Back