Cooper's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm starting a Cooper's IPA using a 1.5 kilo tin of Cooper's light liquid malt extract and 500g of Muttons light spray malt.

I'm going to make this to 23 litres (5 Imperial gallons); any idea of what percentage ABV I should expect?

Can't remember exactly but I think it's in the ballpark of 4-5%. There's definitely not enough of a hop flavor/aroma to call this an IPA. I added 3 oz of fuggles and it wouldn't have hurt to double it.

andy6026 said:
Can't remember exactly but I think it's in the ballpark of 4-5%. There's definitely not enough of a hop flavor/aroma to call this an IPA. I added 3 oz of fuggles and it wouldn't have hurt to double it.

I was thinking of dry hopping for the first time and using fuggles purely because I like the name and you may have convinced me.

Fuggles is an English style hops. If you're looking for an IPA with a burst of hoppy flavor then this is not the hops for you - unless I didn't add nearly enough.

I've only done one Coopers IPA. I substituted all the recommended corn sugar for DME and added 3 oz of fuggles. If I were to do the kit again I would only do 1/2 DME and keep the other 1/2 as corn sugar -- there was too much malty mouthfeel in the end product, and as I said above still not nearly enough hops.

I used 3oz of fuggles in my last batch then 1 oz goldings at the end for aroma. Technically that makes you beer fall under the "English Bitter" thats what I was aiming for anyways. I think its just another name for pale ale. Definitely not a IPA because the AA is way to liw as mine was 4.7 I think.

The Cooper's IPA is the English version. More bittering than flavor traditionally to last the trip to troops in India. But English style hops at 20,15 & 10 with some dry hop for aroma would do it.

ProfessorWoland said:
Tomorrow I'm starting a Cooper's IPA using a 1.5 kilo tin of Cooper's light liquid malt extract and 500g of Muttons light spray malt.

I'm going to make this to 23 litres (5 Imperial gallons); any idea of what percentage ABV I should expect?

OG was 1.045. Anyone know what sort of FG I should expect?

This is pretty much the most vigours fermentation I've seen so far! I was worried I'd find it all over my floor!

I thought it was stouts you had to watch out for too.

The first IPA I tried pretty much stuck to the instructions and only had about an inch of Krauzen.

Is it the liquid malt extract making it go mental?

No,the Cooper's can alone wouldn't do that. It's a healthy yeast pitch that makes for big krausens & a bunch of co2. Install a blow off rig & you'll keep the ceiling clean. Cooper's ale yeast is a beast when pitched fresh,particularly when rehydrated & pitched within ten degrees of wort temp.
It's also a high flocculation yeast,so it'll settle out clear when it's done.

unionrdr said:
No,the Cooper's can alone wouldn't do that. It's a healthy yeast pitch that makes for big krausens & a bunch of co2. Install a blow off rig & you'll keep the ceiling clean. Cooper's ale yeast is a beast when pitched fresh,particularly when rehydrated & pitched within ten degrees of wort temp.
It's also a high flocculation yeast,so it'll settle out clear when it's done.

I use the Coopers brewing bucket without an airlock so can't fit blow out tubes.

I think the extra headspace saved me.

I use the Coopers brewing bucket without an airlock so can't fit blow out tubes.

I think the extra headspace saved me.

In theory,that new DIY fermenter's krausen collar gives enough room for krausen expansion. And the loose lid to let gas out as it expands. I prefer my older Cooper's Microbrew FV personally. Screw on lid with seal & airlock grommet with clear plastic in the lid.

I did a very similar recipe a while back:

Coopers IPA 4.4%abv

Bottled 14/02/13

25/01/13 1.044
05/02/13 1.015
14/02/13 1.015

Extract Tin 1.7kg
1.5kg Coopers Light LME
Coopers Ale Yeast 7g

Fill to 23L

Can't remember if that was the abv before or after allowing for carbonation dextrose.
Was a fairly nice beer, didn't taste at all like IPA though. I'm mostly using plain LME/DME with my own hop additions and yeast selection now, a very easy step if you read up a bit.

One question I forgot to ask about this, will it take an age to clear?

Was planning to dry hop Saturday/Sunday with a view to bottling the following weekend but I seem to recall/misremember reading that all that malt takes ages to clear and don't want to do my first ever dry hop too soon.

Wait till the beer hits a stable FG. Then give it 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty. Dry hop one week then bottle.

unionrdr said:
Wait till the beer hits a stable FG. Then give it 3-7 days to settle out clear or slightly misty. Dry hop one week then bottle.

Cheers. It was sitting at 1.010 this morning, I'd be surprised if it goes lower. I'll dry hop when the yeast rafts dissipate.

In go some Cascade hops.

image-614016055.jpg

Back