Brett Infected Black IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbuchan

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I brewed a Brett C porter. I cleaned and sanitized everything like I usually do, including leaving my thief and syphon in a StarSan solution for a few days because I was too lazy to deal with it for a while. Last Sunday I brewed a Black IPA (using the same syphon and thief). It started out great. Fermentation took right off and my basement smelled fantastic. This morning I pulled a sample and, while it still tastes good, it smells quite bad. How do I know if it's Brett infected? I'm supposed to dry hop next weekend, should I just postpone that and hope the aroma improves? I should also note that the smell here is absolutely nothing like the porter, which is actually very tropical and fruity. The Black IPA is more like feet.

I have had batches smell so bad at times I could vomit, and yet they turned out fine. If it tasted ok and if fermentation took off it is doubtful that it is infected.

I have had batches smell so bad at times I could vomit, and yet they turned out fine. If it tasted ok and if fermentation took off it is doubtful that it is infected.

Thanks, I hope you're right! I'll let it sit for a while and see if I'm able to dry hop on schedule.

Back