Using an Urn as a boiler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEM Australia

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience using an electric hot water urn as a boiler. I can get a 30 litre stainless urn with a 2400 watt element. I found this idea on another site and it can apparently keep a rolling boil going.

This is similar to a device you guys in the states have called an electric brew bucket (Bruheat brand name I think).

Interested to know what you think.

JEM

I'm contemplating buying on.

I'm just concerened with the wort being in direct contact with the element due to scorching the wort, the element over heating and cleaning.
If it's one of the urns with the element under the base then the effect of the 2300w element will be reduced.

I think I may still buy one to use as the hot water supply if I go to a 3 tier syatem.

The other reason I'm not diving straigt in Is because I can Buy a 3000kw element with thermostat on it's own for £9.

Orfy,

I have had some responses on another forum and the threat of scorching is apparently not an issue. A number of people said it works fine but don't mash in it or it burns the grains.

Back