Warmer secondary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay52

Reaction score
Guys:

Have my first AG on secondary today after 14 days in the primary. It's a really nice SNPA clone that started at 1.056 and ended at 1.012 (5.7% ABV), though I was disappointed that I'm down to ~4 gallons of total volume upon racking. Bummer.

Because I have little room where I live (and to obey the SWMBO), my brews are done at my parents house, though I decided to transport this one home to do the secondary dry-hopping followed by bottling. I kept it pretty air tight when transporting, so hopefully it didn't oxidize.

Air temps at home, where I'll be in secondary, range from 68 to 76 degrees. I used a water bath at my parents where they monitored around 66 degrees for the primary fermentation. I'd like to avoid a water bath here at the house, so do you guys think a three-day dryhop (Cascade hops) in secondary at ambient temps will cause any problems? I can't seem to think of any, but perhaps I'm missing something?

How would you tackle it?

I think that since the yeast is already done with the actual fermentation, there probably isn't anything to worry about. The higher temps will cause really bad flavors during the actual fermentation, but after that anything lower than 76 should be okay.

Back