Used Turkey Fryers: A few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jekster

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to round out my equipment here by locating a cheap stainless steel turkey fryer on craigslist.

I've gotten one reply to my "wanted" add so far and it was from a gentlemen offering me a stainless steel fryer with lid, stand and everything. However, he does not know the actual volume size (is there any good way to tell?), and just said that it seems like the "standard" size.

It has only been used 3-4 times (is this a problem or should a soak in OxiClean do the trick?)

He also said he would throw in an empty tank but it has "the old style connection." I know nothing about propane, could anyone shine some light on this for me?

The price: $25. I figure that's pretty good for SS considering best I've seen on these boards is $40 and I haven't seen that at any of the local stores around here (only aluminum and they are $40+)

Information and thoughts appreciated as always!

Cheers! :mug:

Jekster said:
However, he does not know the actual volume size (is there any good way to tell?), and just said that it seems like the "standard" size.
Take a gallon jug of water with you, pour it in, and eyeball it.

Jekster said:
It has only been used 3-4 times (is this a problem or should a soak in OxiClean do the trick?)
Assuming he used it for something conventional (like frying a turkey), shouldn't be a problem.
Jekster said:
He also said he would throw in an empty tank but it has "the old style connection." I know nothing about propane, could anyone shine some light on this for me?
You can probably just exchange the tank at yor propane supplier, no problem. EDIT: but if the regulator on the burner connects to that old tank....maybe someone else has a better answer for this.
Also, I'd make sure it's really a SS pot and not aluminum (i fthe guy doesn't know the volume, he might not know SS from alum, either)

Bike N Brew said:
Take a gallon jug of water with you, pour it in, and eyeball it.

Assuming he used it for something conventional (like frying a turkey), shouldn't be a problem.

You can probably just exchange the tank at yor propane supplier, no problem. EDIT: but if the regulator on the burner connects to that old tank....maybe someone else has a better answer for this.
Also, I'd make sure it's really a SS pot and not aluminum (i fthe guy doesn't know the volume, he might not know SS from alum, either)

Thanks for the information Bike N Brew. I think you have a good idea on lugging over a gallon of water and seeing how much it fills up as well as double checking his stainless steel knowledge. ;)

As for the propane tank, I would still be interested to hear if anyone knows more about them and whether most deals would do an exchange? The guy said the tank has the old style connection which leads me to guess that the fryer has a new connection. Although that's reading into specific wordings. Again, if anyone can shed some light it would be helpful!

Most places will NOT do an exchange, an old tank for a new(er) one with an OPD valve. In fact, it is illegal for them to refill a propane tank without the OPD valve. There is a date on the propane tank, telling when it was made.

See this for a picture: http://www.p2pays.org/ref/14/13043.pdf

If the tank doesn't have the OPD, I wouldn't take it, unless you have a place to recycle it.

Yooper Chick said:
Most places will NOT do an exchange, an old tank for a new(er) one with an OPD valve. In fact, it is illegal for them to refill a propane tank without the OPD valve. There is a date on the propane tank, telling when it was made.

See this for a picture: http://www.p2pays.org/ref/14/13043.pdf

If the tank doesn't have the OPD, I wouldn't take it, unless you have a place to recycle it.

Wow, that's exactly what I needed. I think I'll skip the tank unless it has an OPD valve and if it doesn't I'll just offer the dude $20 for the turkey fryer equip minus the tank. Would this be a pretty good deal or should I hold out longer? (I can't brew until a month which is when I'm in my new house...)

Also, anyone have more info about turkey fryer volumes? From what I have researched it seems the smallest ones out there are 30qt which should be enough for a 5 gallon full boil, pushing it I know, which is what I want anyway.

Take a tape measure and calculator with you and do a little math.

r^2 x Pi x H or

Half the diameter x Half the diameter x 3.14 x the height gives you cubic inches.

Multiply that answer by .00433 to convert to US gallons.

I paid $30 for a out of box stainless 30qt pot at Walmart and that was a great price. Since you're getting the burner and stand too, it's a bargain.

Bobby_M said:
Take a tape measure and calculator with you and do a little math.

r^2 x Pi x H or

Half the diameter x Half the diameter x 3.14 x the height gives you cubic inches.

Multiply that answer by .00433 to convert to US gallons.

I paid $30 for a out of box stainless 30qt pot at Walmart and that was a great price. Since you're getting the burner and stand too, it's a bargain.

Great ideas Bobby! Math in action!

I think off the recommendations in this thread I'm going to toss down the $25 for this sucker as long as it really is stainless. ;)

30 qt should be enough to do full boils correct?

I have a 30 quart turkey fryer- and it's close, but no boilovers so far. You usually boil 6.4 gallons or so to get to 5 gallons so at first it's pretty close. Then after the hot break, things settle down a bit. This isn't ideal but it'll work.

I paid around $35 for my aluminum turkey fryer so if you get a stainless one in good shape for $25, it's a good deal!

Yooper Chick said:
I have a 30 quart turkey fryer- and it's close, but no boilovers so far. You usually boil 6.4 gallons or so to get to 5 gallons so at first it's pretty close. Then after the hot break, things settle down a bit. This isn't ideal but it'll work.

I paid around $35 for my aluminum turkey fryer so if you get a stainless one in good shape for $25, it's a good deal!

Awesome. I knew it would be close, but am confident that I should be alright as long as I'm careful.

I setup a time to meet with the gentlemen and hopefully it is really stainless. ;) If so I'll check brew kettle off my list of things to buy. =D

Back