2nd batch - Scoby; Continuous Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayleen

Reaction score
I am making my second batch brew of KT. It's about 2 weeks in. Baby Scoby is about 1/8 - 1/4inch thick. My mother scoby sank to the bottom immediately and has stayed there. The baby scoby on top appears to have a second filmy scoby(?) hanging from underneath it. Seems weird. Should I be concerned?

I have some nice big bubbles forming under the baby scoby so I think in another week I will test it. I found with my very first batch that I need it more tart before I flavor it because the flavorings seemed to add more sweetness without adding sugar itself.

If this next batch works out, I intend to get a continuous brewer system. Through the Kombucha Camp site, it costs about $200 for a basic brewer set up. I don't need all the added flavorings etc that they send with. I have found other porcelean crocks for about $20-$40. Anyone have any advice? Is there any reason I shouldn't use the cheaper costing crocks?

beer bottling bucket that has a spigot?

This.

Or, get one of those lemonade jugs with a spigot. I caught a 1 gallon, glass, lemonade jar at Big Lots for 3 dollars. Works great.

I think 200 dollars for a kombucha setup is ludicrous.

I found a case of the gallon-size sun tea jars for about $6 a jar. They work great! Although, I use a cloth over the top instead of the lid, to allow more air flow.

Back