Kegs for a party, how do you cool them without a rolling kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know there are tuns of awsome builds alover for rolling kegerators things of that nature. Thats not what i am after. I am looking for how you take kegs to a party and keep them cool and serve them. they will just have picnic taps and gas, so what do you use to keep them cool and more importantly from floating in whatever ice, wter you put them in?

A cooler or a large rubbermaid tote filled with ice.....

shataway said:
10gallon water keg for serving one corney keg strapped to a hand truck

OP specifically said he doesn't want this thing to roll. Stop being so helpful.

:)

Dont worry about cooling the kegs build a jockey box. I'm building one for serving outside in the summer. It's just a cooler with either hose or metal coiled up. The beer passing through the tubing and ice cools it off. I'm going to try mine with 20' of liquid tubing.

ok, minor clarification, rolling is ok if it does't result in shaken beer or broken kegs, and isn't a kegerator build, was just looking for something to put them in, or broken me, so sothing tall with ice, seems to be the general concensus? whats a water keg, and do thes float when half empty? also lokking to keep the cost down to more money in ice than stuff. oh and
:off:Voodoo, what model is the glock? looks like sum upgrades occured:off:

I can put two cornies in a 60 qt ice cube cooler. They don't fit perfectly but you can wedge them in well enough to ice them down. As a bonus, the cooler has wheels. Tall kitchen trashcans work well too but they aren't as mobile.

this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/my-new-portable-keg-system-72105/

PortableBrew1.jpg

turtle, very cool, got the adapter today already for the small tanks, i don't think i want to spring for 3 or 4 keg gloves, though not a bad idea, thease are great ideas and really helpful, and appreciated, if there are more especially with pics, keep them coming, party is over memorial day and i wil be teking 3 kegs to each prt, i got 2 to go two, i might even sober up in between.

i just carry 'em in and stick 'em in a snowbank 8 or so month of the year....but that might not work for everyone. a small trashcan and some ice works for me...if you're partying the keg is gonna be gone before the ice so floating is a nonissue.

If you are talking corny kegs, Homer buckets ($2 buckets from Home Depot, Lowes also has their own). Cheap and work great, don't need as much ice as you would with a huge tub.

put water in a tall kitchen garbage can, sit a spare corney in a garbage bag and pull it tight around the keg and tie it on top. weight the corney down, put it in the garbage can, and sit the whole deal in a chest freezer. When frozen fill the corney with hot water and remove it.

Now you have a block of ice with a corney sized hole that will last all day.. It looks way cooler if you remove the whole block from the garbage can if you're serving outside.

seet think i will go the garbage can route, if i had more time (and a bigger frezzer) i would try the iceblock at least once, it sounds awsome idea, snow banks, maybe 6 months out of the year.

does the corney float if you ahve to much water witht he ice?

oh these are the full size 5 gallon cornies

I just placed mine in a tall kitchen trash can with ice. I used a picnic tap, but wish I'd had the tap that attaches directly to the post. The picnic tap can get warm and let some gas out.

Transporting kegs can cause them to get stirred up, so if you don't want couldy beer, I recommend jumping the beer into another keg before transporting. This gets it off the yeast so it won't cloud up when you move it.

seet think i will go the garbage can route, if i had more time (and a bigger frezzer) i would try the iceblock at least once, it sounds awsome idea, snow banks, maybe 6 months out of the year.

does the corney float if you ahve to much water witht he ice?

oh these are the full size 5 gallon cornies

blocks of ice are visually stunning, i fill paper milk cartons with water and sit a bottle of vodka (or any other booze) inside and freeze them solid for parties in the summer (no they won't break).

And yes they will float but the beer, of course, will always be mostly below the water level.

put water in a tall kitchen garbage can, sit a spare corney in a garbage bag and pull it tight around the keg and tie it on top. weight the corney down, put it in the garbage can, and sit the whole deal in a chest freezer. When frozen fill the corney with hot water and remove it.

Now you have a block of ice with a corney sized hole that will last all day.. It looks way cooler if you remove the whole block from the garbage can if you're serving outside.

Okay, that's just awesome.:rockin:

You just made a corny into the party's ice sculpture.

Turtle, that's a cool portable setup.

Yesterday I went to a party in my neighborhood with my full kegerator. I loaded into my John Deere trailer and pulled it there with my lawn tractor. I wish I had a picture, but it probably looked pretty funny. 3 beers on tap for the neighbors. Now I need to brew again!

It was some effort to move the kegerator around (4 cornies plus the freezer probably came in at 170 Lbs) but was so well received, that I may do it again for the next party...or just hold it at my house.

Latest posts

Back