BG-12 users - burner height and heat shields

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
I'm building a single-tier stand with three BG-12 burners. You know, the 6" ring burners like this:

40282.jpg

I got the high pressure orifices with them. I will be use them with keggles. My stand will have a horizontal bar welded underneath the top of the stand. The burners will mount to this bar. The problem is trying to determine how far below the top of the stand to weld it. I have heard of people mounting these burners anywhere from 2" to 5" below the pots. That's a pretty huge range. To anyone that uses these burners, I would be grateful if you could provide input on your distance between top of burner and bottom of pot. Again I am using high pressure orifices on these even though they often come with low pressure orifices.

I will also be using 8.5" diameter x 4" height SS heat shields that will be mounted underneath the top of the frame. With the frame being 1.5" square tube, the heat shields will sit 1.5" below the top of the frame in order to give breathing room to the flame, etc. I don't know if the use of and positioning of the heat shields should effect the distance of burners in relation to the keggles.

Anyway, thank you for your input.

Gregg

Search around some of the brutus build threads. I haven't built one but I have perused them. I know that often the distance is adjusted depending on the conditions and what they are boiling with. For example, you would want them mounted higher for a keggle than a flat bottomed stock pot or similar. For some reason I am thinking of a 3 inch distance from the bottom of pots is some magic number but I am not sure.

BYO sells the brutus plants, you might want to look at those.

Wish I could be of more help.

I built a 2 tier stand with these same burners but with low pressure orifices, I mounted them 4 inches below the frame that the keggle sits on with 11''dia. stainless wind shields
and it seems to be a great highth, high pressure may cause a taller flame but not by much.

I wondered about this on my own build. Ask ten people you get ten answers. Since I used the same burners, I measured the gap on a bayou classic SP10 at my LHBS and went with that. It was about 4" I recall. I figured the manufacture of burners should know a little bit about it.

I built my stand using high pressure so that the burners are around 3 1/2" and it's been working pretty good with my keggles. My wind screens are about 11 1/4" in diameter and I think 6" high. I do find that some times the flames will lick up around the keggles but not too bad, but I think I am still going to lower the burners another 1/2 to 1" to help keep too much licking.

Thanks all for the comments. I think I will try and do an adjustable bar for my burners so that I can move the var up and down a bit. Maybe threaded rod welded to the underside of the top. Then use nuts to raise and lower the burners bar as needed. I hope the 8.5" heat shields will be enough diameter.

Are you guys able to boil 10 gallon batches with these burners OK?

i boil 14 gallons just fine with this thing. i did put mine at about 7 inches using propane but made each burner adjustable individually on 2 sliding arms with some wing nuts. works great :D

i boil 14 gallons just fine with this thing. i did put mine at about 7 inches using propane but made each burner adjustable individually on 2 sliding arms with some wing nuts. works great :D

Excellent. Do you have pics of the sliding arm setup?

IMG_20110425_123354.jpg

cut slots in some angle aluminum (didn't have any steel that fit) and then bent U shapes for the burners to ride on. drilled a hole at the top of each end of the U and welded in a bolt. wingnuts hold it in place really well and allow the burners to slide up enough that my 3 keggles fit inside my single tier stand when not in use :)

Ahhh I see. So the heat shields move up and down with it. Nice. Thanks for posting.

Where did you guys get your low pressure orfice for these burners? I made some and it seems like one works where the other ones aren't small enough. Smallest bit I have is a 1/16 but it looks like from the orfice chart these run a #55 DRILL hole size.

I'm using a dual stage marshall which is at .5 psi.

Thanks!

Back