Worried that I did something wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
So this past weekend I brewed 2 different beers. The brewers best holiday ale, and the thunderstruck pumpkin ale from this website.... I decided to use yeast that I had at home already for the holiday ale which I brewed first. I brewed that on Saturday, and by Sunday it was bubbling away.... I then brewed the pumpkin on Monday, and used the yeast package from the brewers best kit... today I come home and there is absolutely nothing going on in the pumpkin bucket. I decided to throw in another packet of yeast, this time Muntons, so different from the first time....

Did I just screw up the pumpkin? Should I have just left it longer? Temperature held steady between 70 and 72 for past few days, but there was no sign of life at all..... used a hydro but no change from the OG of 1.058..... could something have happened?

I doubt it is done already, but make sure you have tight seals around your airlock and cover. Like pap said, let it go and it will start soon.

Thanks for the advice. I threw in another yeast packet last night, checked this morning and sure enough the air lock was going crazy.... now I just hope I don't get home to find an explosion of some sorts....

If you're worried about a blowout, fit the fermenter with a blowoff tube instead of an airlock for the first couple days. You can switch back to airlock if you need to after the initial krausen has settled, just make sure everything has been sanitized before you mess with it.

Back