Homebrew Fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALF

Reaction score
I've never had a bad day brewing until this last Saturday.

I took a week of vacation and some plans fell through, so i decided to brew this weekend instead.

Everything was going great. Hit my strike temp, doing a little cleaning up and getting ready to sit back and have a beer.

Then my dog, who was attached to a long leash in the front yard decided to investigate what was going on. The dog got wrapped up in the canopy, pulled the canopy and my two tier system all down into a heap of destruction. As I started to clean up, I thought "Nobody would believed this", so I took a few pics.

After reviewing the damage report, we only lost the floating thermometer from the HLT and a few of the valve handles were bent, but still workable.

Anyway, I cleaned up and set back up while my friend went back to LHBS and got a more grains. Of course his van over heated on the way there and the owner had to help him out. Many Thanks Ray!

Warning: The pictures shown below may be disturbing to some viewers

baddaybrewing2.jpg

baddaybrewing1.jpg

Amazingly the dog escaped being hit by the HLT or the boiling water inside.

I strongly suspect your dog will never go near the canopy or brew rig again. Single incident fear-based learning has a survival factor.

How did the replacement batch go?

That is EPIC! How long did it take to get your foot out of your dog's arse?

I cried a little just looking at those pictures. It is like looking at a car wreck. I just can't take my eyes away. Sweet sweet wort... RIP

I would be a liar if I said giving the dog the boot right after this happened didn't cross my mind. Instead I opted to just get the dog away from ground zero. In fact, after I cooled off and got everything back up and running, I brought the offending beast back out...with a much shorter rope this time. There must be something wrong with me...LOL.

Yep. Got back up, dusted off and kept on brewing. I currently have 5.5 gal of Kolsch wort safely tucked away in the fermentation fridge @ 60-62 F and churning away nicely.

I'd like to hear the dogs side of the story.

Something like, hey man there was this really great smelling shiny thing that was within my zone and the human didn't tell me not to investigate. Coulda burnt my butt off, think I'll sue the bastard!:)

Wow, when my dog knocks something off the coffee table it scares the bejeezus out of him, your dogs eyes must have been bugging out of his head! trying to run, but his rope was pulling the whole enchilada down behind him!

I had a similar experience with a leashed dog knocking over a table that had my 5# CO2 tank with a dual body regulator on it. Luckily, only the tank fill gauge got a bit messed up. That thing is fairly useless anyway.

We should include "leashed dogs" on the list of safety concerns :)

Back