Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what kind of infection this is?

391244_270883146344553_1902458547_n.jpg

No idea but it looks just like mine.

Mildly sour. Believe or not there is this hoppy aroma but it taste there is no bitterness. This is not to be the sweet malty notes and cloying so. It tastes like the blood of a dwarven warlord if that helps.

Honestly I am limited in the time I have to devote to brewing. I live in a house with radon poisoning and who knows what floating in the air. I sanitize and mist the air as best I can but admittedly I have had more style failures and infections than success this all sound bad until I pretend I am actual an artisan pushing the limits on an old world style and retranslating my former complaints I can say.. I have the amazing patience needed to awake the slumbering complexities brought out only by the rip van winklesque dreams of yeast left in solitude for years. The air surrounding contains the essence needed to bestow such glory to wort. I have never tasted defeat or failure. Only the elixirs of Mother Nature and Father Time!!!

Barooze, I harvested a wild yeast from grapes and it made a pellicle like yours, I'm fairly sure it's a type of brettanomyces.

Interesting. I did a spontaneous ferment for this one. Left it in the boil kettle overnight next to some rose bushes with cheesecloth covering the opening so maybe that's the driver here. :tank:

at the advice of some other members, here is what is going on in my fermenter:

weird bubbles by natural320, on Flickr

it is simply Costco apple juice and a harvested slurry of Wyeast 3068. I was going for a simple cider (like I've done many times before), but returned from a week long vacation to see that.

totally unintentional, I have no idea what it is, but a sample taste was only tart...not puckering sour or anything like that.

natural320 said:
it is simply Costco apple juice and a harvested slurry of Wyeast 3068. I was going for a simple cider (like I've done many times before), but returned from a week long vacation to see that.

totally unintentional, I have no idea what it is, but a sample taste was only tart...not puckering sour or anything like that.

Made this same exact cider yeast combo. It was amazing young but became miserable with age.

Interesting. I did a spontaneous ferment for this one. Left it in the boil kettle overnight next to some rose bushes with cheesecloth covering the opening so maybe that's the driver here. :tank:

I just read in The Art of Fermentation that yeast that makes a thready layer like this is know as Kahm yeast and it's common on the surface water of vegetable ferments like pickles or kraut. I'm not finding out a lot of information about Kahm yeast, or what sort of species it might be. Mine only made a thready pellicle like that when exposed to air.

I just read in The Art of Fermentation that yeast that makes a thready layer like this is know as Kahm yeast and it's common on the surface water of vegetable ferments like pickles or kraut. I'm not finding out a lot of information about Kahm yeast, or what sort of species it might be. Mine only made a thready pellicle like that when exposed to air.

When I tried the beer after it was fermented, it had a very weird, slightly unpleasant aftertaste I attributed to the wild yeast. It only went down to 1.026, but I mashed at 160 to ensure lots of food for the bacteria to eat over the next several months. The CO2 had a terrible odor during primary as well. You can still get a weird aftertaste from this one, but I'm hoping the souring really knocks it down. Time will tell. :)

When I tried the beer after it was fermented, it had a very weird, slightly unpleasant aftertaste I attributed to the wild yeast. It only went down to 1.026, but I mashed at 160 to ensure lots of food for the bacteria to eat over the next several months. The CO2 had a terrible odor during primary as well. You can still get a weird aftertaste from this one, but I'm hoping the souring really knocks it down. Time will tell. :)

My first batch with it had a bit of a farm yard/grassy sort of taste/aroma to it But that hasn't shown up in any subsequent batches with the yeast.

acidrain23 said:
Foreign Extra Stout, with funky pellicle!

Is this Brett contamination? Lacto? Something worse?

Looks like brett and lacto. For some reason, I have done three brett beers and always get the same kind of rocky bubbles. I only get the white pellicle when lacto is added.

Looks like brett and lacto. For some reason, I have done three brett beers and always get the same kind of rocky bubbles. I only get the white pellicle when lacto is added.

Cool, thanks! I was thinking about- either 1) knocking it back with some Camden tablets and pitching some fresh yeast, OR 2) let is ride and see what happens... I guess there is always 3) dump it and clean better next time! What should I do?

Cool, thanks! I was thinking about- either 1) knocking it back with some Camden tablets and pitching some fresh yeast, OR 2) let is ride and see what happens... I guess there is always 3) dump it and clean better next time! What should I do?

I'd definitely let it ride. It's now a historical beer! I'm sure many of the original FESs had some brett in them! :ban:

I'd definitely let it ride. It's now a historical beer! I'm sure many of the original FESs had some brett in them! :ban:

Hah, cool- thanks for the reassurnaces. I'm going to taste a sample this weekend and if it doesn't taste like nail polish or baby vomit, we'll see what happens. Hey, maybe I'll even oak this bad boy. :mug:

acidrain23 said:
Hah, cool- thanks for the reassurnaces. I'm going to taste a sample this weekend and if it doesn't taste like nail polish or baby vomit, we'll see what happens. Hey, maybe I'll even oak this bad boy. :mug:

Oak will feed the Brett and be delicious..

acidrain23 said:

I would most definitely let it ride. It may have to sit for a year or so, but I'll bet it turns out interesting. If after a while you taste it and it tastes bad, let it go longer. I wouldn't recommend using that vessel for anything but wild beers from now on though. Just stick it in the back of a closet and let it ride.

Sour Gruit, Dubbel grain bill brewed with Nettle, Mugwort, Marsh Rosemary, Sweet Gale, and Wild Yarrow. Saison primary sacc, followed by inoculation with my dregs of a Consecration clone.

image.jpg

Pellicle on Citrus Sour Blonde Ale. Primary was brett blend propagated from a bottle of RR Sanctification. After primary, added 12.2 oz (by weight) fresh tangerine and tangelo juice (as well as the zest). This appeared ~3 weeks later.

Full recipe and notes here

photo.jpg

Pellicle on Citrus Sour Blonde Ale. Primary was brett blend propagated from a bottle of RR Sanctification. After primary, added 12.2 oz (by weight) fresh tangerine and tangelo juice (as well as the zest). This appeared ~3 weeks later.

Full recipe and notes here

My god... that looks like worms... GROSS. I bet it will be amazing beer though!

No idea but it looks just like mine.

Well I hope your turned out better than mine did! This was the first batch of beer I ever dumped. Smelled like 2 week old garbage, and tasted like puke.

Sorry... Like I said hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

This is my second sour stout attempt. My first one turned out great, but trying to cut back the sour edge to it a bit so the roast shines through a bit more. When I pitched the Cal Ale yeast I also dumped dregs from about 5 different sour beers. It's been in primary for about 2 months now. Think the yeast cake will just provide food for the bugs, or should I rack it off the yeast cake/maybe only key it sit for 6 months instead of a year?

This is just the start of the pellicle forming....

B5E64830-11FD-4F36-AB56-13A48E96FA14-8277-0000092EAEF4D68E.jpg

A little closer up...

413A51D2-376C-4E9E-A400-F67384B0A838-8277-0000092EA34052CE.jpg

Jim,
I would just leave it for a while longer. Pull it off after 6 months and put another on the yeast cake.

stblindtiger said:
This is my second sour stout attempt. My first one turned out great, but trying to cut back the sour edge to it a bit so the roast shines through a bit more. When I pitched the Cal Ale yeast I also dumped dregs from about 5 different sour beers. It's been in primary for about 2 months now. Think the yeast cake will just provide food for the bugs, or should I rack it off the yeast cake/maybe only key it sit for 6 months instead of a year?

This is just the start of the pellicle forming....

A little closer up...

Taste it every couple if months to see where it's at

Just kegged 5 gallons of this Lambic after a year. I made 10 gallons total, and fermented each half in it's own fermentor. I'm saving the other 5 gallons for a geuze.

598540_307502626015938_320362431_n.jpg

Back