Need Bells Two Hearted IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
Trying to recreate this delicious brew. Anybody have a good AG recipe for this? Their website said the OG was 1.064. If no one has cloned this does anyone know the variety of hops they use.

Gracias
Alan

Ok so I was dumb. I did a quick search and found loads of info on this beer. I tried it for the first time on vacation recently and found it outstanding and of course you can't get it here:mad:

Anybody with a good clone though feel free to post it anyway.

Regards,
Alan

You may have checked this already, but if you're in Knoxville, TN you're not impossibly far away from Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia, all of which have Bell's. So if you ever get out there you can pick some up. Otherwise, as you discovered the search function can be helpful and I am quite sure that it is an all Centennial beer so if you see a recipe with different hops, it's probably not right (but could still be really good).

EDIT: Georgia has Bell's but based on their website does not have two hearted.

By their website, they are not distributed in GA. My brother called from FL the other day and they have it so i'm jealous and want to move back.

Oh well a single hop IPA seems pretty easy in fact easier than the one i brew now. You would'nt happen to know their water chemistry (hard or soft) would you? Impossibly hard water here. Might have to amend it some way.

Regards,
Alan

By their website, they are not distributed in GA. My brother called from FL the other day and they have it so i'm jealous and want to move back.

Oh well a single hop IPA seems pretty easy in fact easier than the one i brew now. You would'nt happen to know their water chemistry (hard or soft) would you? Impossibly hard water here. Might have to amend it some way.

Regards,
Alan

You're right. Their distributor map shows that they are distributed by Savannah Distributing Co. when I look at it, but they don't list any of their beers as being distributed in Georgia, and neither does the distributor's website. Maybe it's a coming soon sort of thing?

Also, since you have family in FL, picking up some Oberon when you're down there might be a good idea. It's a pretty popular beer around here and is available year round in Florida.

As far as water goes, I have no idea. I actually don't know much about actually brewing anything like Bell's, I just checked out their distribution the other day because I was curious if Founder's or Bell's distributes to more states. (It's Bell's, but not by much) You could try emailing them.

Use a lil bit of gypsum. its all centennial hops. I use like 8 oz for 5 gal. Go all out. Comes out great.

Obviously there is a pretty good micro brew scene in MI. I brewed the founder's Breakfast Stout from BYO without ever trying the real thing just because it sounded good. I sure would love to try the real thing because my HB version of this beer was incredible.

Regards,
Alan

Use a lil bit of gypsum. its all centennial hops. I use like 8 oz for 5 gal. Go all out. Comes out great.

+1....This is a Centennial hopped beer. Spicy peppery hops. I prefer Founders Centennial IPA over 2 hearted.......has a bit more body. JMHO

Obviously there is a pretty good micro brew scene in MI. I brewed the founder's Breakfast Stout from BYO without ever trying the real thing just because it sounded good. I sure would love to try the real thing because my HB version of this beer was incredible.

Regards,
Alan

I have one of those at home right now. :D

I have one of those at home right now. :D

Ok you bastage thats not playing fair! Why here in TN we have.......er........eh.....Jack Daniels yeah thats the ticket!;) Only I don't like whiskey so I'm SOL in the land of Bud Light.

Have you tried to brew the stout yourself? If not you should its very good. I posted the recipe a few years back but you can find it if interested.

Haven't had the chance to try any of Founder's products but if their Centennial ale is better than Bells then I need to get my hands on some.

Regards
Alan

Ok you bastage thats not playing fair! Why here in TN we have.......er........eh.....Jack Daniels yeah thats the ticket!;) Only I don't like whiskey so I'm SOL in the land of Bud Light.

Have you tried to brew the stout yourself? If not you should its very good. I posted the recipe a few years back but you can find it if interested.

Haven't had the chance to try any of Founder's products but if their Centennial ale is better than Bells then I need to get my hands on some.

Regards
Alan

I'm kind of torn right now as to what to brew time after next. Tomorrow I'm brewing an ale version of a California Common, to kind of taste for myself what happens when you use an ale yeast instead of a lager yeast in the same recipe. After that it'll probably be 4 to 6 weeks until I brew again so I'm torn between brewing the summer beer that I might want when it's ready or the stout that sounds really good now. I'll keep that recipe in mind though. I'll probably drop the coffee if I do make it because I'm not a huge fan of coffee myself, but we'll see. I might just make an Arrogant Bastard clone.

EDIT: I think Founders is distributed in most of the states around you too. I don't know if you've tried any of their beers before, but I haven't tried a bad one yet. I personally like two hearted more than Centennial, but both are great. Red's Rye, Dirty Bastard, and the Imperial Stout are other great ones to try IMO. The breakfast stout is a seasonal, so if they have some left it will be a few months old at this point.

Regards
Alan

Centennial IPA is a bit more malty than Two-Hearted. I wouldn't describe it as a full fledged East Coast IPA, but it's definitely more in that direction. They're both phenomenal beers.

Back