First AG today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Reaction score
Brewed my first all grain today, went pretty good. I was pretty cold out so the cooler didn't hold temp too well. I forgot to bring in the cooler and grains the night before so they were pretty cold in the morning. I preheated the cooler and then added the grains. The temp was lower than my strike temp should've been. I added a bunch of water to bring the temp up and ended up with about 2/1 grain/water ratio after that. First time boiling on a turkey fryer too. That was awesome. It's the only way I want to do it now! I took a preboil gravity reading and it was off by 10 points. I took a post boil reading and it was off by 8 points. My efficiency was 62%, which I fault to the horrible grain crush the LHBS gave me. All in all I am pretty happy how the first time went and can't wait to do another.

Congrats!

I did one extract, and 3 PM's and then (thanks to HBT) went all-grain painlessly.

When you can afford it, get a grain mill and your efficiency will improve. Also, watch your grain/MT temps (as you found out). Once you get a handle on this, and fermentation temps, your beer will become incredibly better.

Keep us posted on the fermentation and bottling!

Congratulations! It only gets easier, though it sounds like it wasn't too bad overall.

congrats! as stated above, get a handle on the mash temps, cold weather doesnt make it easy, but you will be rewarded! also I agree on the turkey fryer, it is wicked for boiling isnt it?

I needed to ferment at 62 degrees so I put it in the kegerator. Last night it started out at 55 degrees and i turned it down. I checked this morning and it was at 75! The thing was fermenting though, krausen on top. I turned it down again hoping I could get in the lower range of the yeast (US-05). I really need to get a temperature controller...

Back