What's a good summer ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to brew and am going to buy a recipe kit, any suugestions on a good summer ale. Its been warm and I have been drinking an amber IPA but is a liitle strong in taste for the heat in the late day. Thanks

Pale ale. ESB, English Pale Ale, "American Ale". Something light and crisp with distinct bitterness. Although it's perfectly normal to enjoy a darker and bolder ale such as a stout or porter at this time of year, you can't go wrong with a pale ale.

A blonde, hefe or a hybrid like steam beer.

I have a copperhook clone about ready to keg and is along the lines of a amber ale but lighter in color and body but not to the point of a pale ale. It should be a good summer beer.

+1 for the blonde ale - light, fruity and drinkable. If your fermentation temp control isn't dead on you might try a Belgian pale but make sure it finishes dry.

I made FSR402's Citrus Weizen last year, and have another batch bottle conditioning right now, by popular demand. A nice, spritzy summer beer with a citrus kick. It'll be ready to drink on Friday, and I can't wait.

Blonde Ale, Kolsch, Wheat, Wit.

I have made Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde a couple of times and it was awsum! Just right for warm summer days. All of those above are lighter beers.

I've just made a chocolate mint stout. You wouldn't think that it's a good summer beer, but the mint is nice and refreshing. I recommend that too if you want to brew something a little different. Otherwise, the other suggestions are all good as well.

In Denmark they seem crazy about anything elderflower. Naturally, a few breweries already made some nice brews with them. Great summer feel to it.

What's with all these wheat beers reccomendations? Does it have something to do with not using recipes that don't use alot of hops because harvest is just around the corner?

I'm not a fan of beers that use wheat as anything more than a specialty grain.

Latest posts

Back