Auto Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
Bottled today. My siphon kept stalling. My carboy was higher than my bottling bucket. I would pump the siphon and it would start and run for about a minute, then it would trickle, then stop. Is there a trick to this or do I have a leak?

I'm not sure what might be going on with that. I usually make sure the bottom of my carboy is as high as the top of my bottling bucket when I siphon with the auto siphon and have never had any issues. Once the siphon starts, it really should keep going unless there is a significant tear in the tube somewhere on the carboy side. If there was, you should see bubbling and air coming through the siphon tube before the siphon stops.

Maybe the wrong hose if it is not the one that came with it...
Hardware stores sell hose that is too loose to keep the A.S. going...
The right hose is hard to push on very far...Goes on 1/2"...
To check...wrap the connection in electrical tape at the top of the A.S.

I may have a hole in my hose. I'll check that first. I got the hose from my LHBS, and it is a TIGHT fit.

make sure you pump the hose FULL of liquid. it sounds like you're just pumping and not actually getting a gravity siphon started.

I also find that once I get the flow going (as malkore described) that if I *gently* pinch the tubing near where the tubing connects to the siphon, that the air bubbles in the tubing will force themselves out, which I think also may help flow control.

Back