Weird Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aguirre

Reaction score
I brewed my second batch on Friday, and I'm a little concerned.

I bought a cream ale kit (for SWMBO) but I was disappointed when I saw there were no specialty grains like the last batch. So, I asked the guys at LHBS for advice and here's what the recipe ended up as:

3.3 lb Plain Light LME
2 lb Light DME
1/2 lb. Munich 10L for 30 mins at 160*
1/2 lb Cara-Pils for 30 mins at 160*
2 oz. Vanguard Bittering Hops
.5 oz Vanguard Finishing Hops
Nottingham dried yeast

Everything went pretty well during the process, but I'm wondering if this is going to taste really funky with the Munich in there. Apparently it's not made for beers like the kit I had.

So experts, is this going to be a mess? I shouldn't have gotten cute with the recipe, but I enjoyed the steeping part of the process a lot last time and couldn't resist. If this one doesn't go well I'll demote myself back to doing exactly what the kit says.

Thanks again.:)

I guess not, but I was just wondering if I totally screwed it up. I know beermaking can be more science than art.

I don't see anything particularly weird in there. I really like the malty taste of Munich and the Carapils should give it a nice mouth feel. I'm guessing you made a nice beer for your wife.

Back