Design for wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
I am going to making my own wort chiller here shortly and have a couple questions. I am going to do the standard coil style that fits insde the pot, my question is, has anyone ever did an additional small coil that spirals up the middle of the outter coil? Thus, giving the cool tap water a little more contact with the wort. maybe wrapping the larger coil around a korney keg, and the inside one around a spray paint can? :rockin:

I've seen all sorts of designs and your idea will work as well. One thing I would consider is leaving enough room to fit a large spoon in the middle as stirring gently while cooling will make a big difference. If you have the inclination you should check out Jamil's whirlpool chiller. Might be up your alley.

Whirlpool Chiller

Well I'm just starting out in AG so I wont be using pumps or anything fancy. Looks really cool (literally). :) anyways, thanks for the link guys!

I did exactly that when I built my chiller. Did a small spiral around a big coffee can, then a bigger spiral by hand around that using a coil tubing bender. Works great for me, even though it's pretty ugly.

I tried to make a two coil chiller. I couldnt get the 3/8 inch tubing to coil tight enough without collapsing.

look at the one in my avatar. The center one I pull out and use as a prechiller for the hot Texas summers. +1 on the gentle stirring, or sometimes I will rock the pot back and forth slowly, It is very apparent the difference it makes. If I were to use a march pump in my setup I would for sure go with the whirlpool.

Back