Getting 240VAC outlet in kitchen .. oven outlet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdonagher

Reaction score
So I have a bit of a dilemma in that I live in a second story condo with no way to pull in a new 240 circuit to where I want to brew (my kitchen)

I have an electric kettle, but currently just with a 1500W element running of of a 120V circuit (slowww...)

I do however have an electric wall oven currently hardwired into a 240V 30A dedicated circuit. The junction box that the oven is hardwired into is in the cabinet next to the oven, so it's accessible. I was considering replacing the hardwired install with an outlet so that I can use it for electric brewing (i.e. unplug the oven from the outlet, plug in brewing rig, brew, then plug oven back in). The oven's instructions - and those of other ovens I looked at - specifically call for the oven to be hardwired. In my read of the NEC, it seemed a bit ambiguous about this, but I'm no electrician and before I call one to get clarification I thought I'd ask here to see whether anyone has any thoughts.

Thanks!

If the box is right there, why not run another line just for brewing?

You mean pigtail off it? I think the oven outlet has to be the only outlet on the circuit per nec. If I can't keep this to code I'll just plan to brew on 120 permanently and add a second element in my kettle / build a heat stick

Built-in ovens are hard-wired because of the fact that they are "built-in". You can't simply slide them out to unplug like a dryer or range.

If you can access the junction box w/o having to move the oven, I'd slap a range cord on it and do what you want to.

Out of interest do you know if HD or suchlike sell range extention cords and/or converters (ie pin patterns)?

Thanks!

If you want to strictly adhere to code, NEC 110.3 (B) says "Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." If your oven specifically says it must to be hardwired (not may) then it has to be hardwired.

If you want to strictly adhere to code, NEC 110.3 (B) says "Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling." If your oven specifically says it must to be hardwired (not may) then it has to be hardwired.

We are already installing water heater elements in cooking pots, cobbled together with non-standard parts.
What is one more foul against the NEC gonna matter? :D

I prefer to think of electrical codes as "Style Guidelines"! <G> 240 is just heavily hopped Imperial 120...

Just slap in another breaker and run a line from it. Code also states your stove needs to be on its own circut if im not mistaken. So pig tailing would not be acceptable.

thanks all. NEC 110.3 is interesting .. and I guess that settles it

ehedge20:
I can't run another line; there's no conduit, and there's a neighbor's unit in between my panel in my garage and my kitchen. I'm no electrician but I'm pretty sure fishing is impossible.

I could install an outlet for brewing in my garage (where my panel is), but ventilation is a problem in my garage (it's a condo...), and my garage is small and just not an enjoyable place to hang out.

I've got plenty of 120V circuits in the kitchen; I can find a way to make do

I have a similar issue in that my basemen is finished and where I want to brew is about 30 feet away. The solution I may go with is putting a spa panel where it's convenient and then running an RV extension cord to my control panel on brew day. They are pricey, but will allow you to have your spa panel and brewery in different locations without having to splice into your oven (or the neighbor's)

I used this for a while in a similar situation. Hooked it up to my electric stove outlet and it allowed me to still use my stove without unplugging it. Plenty of power for electric brewing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/plug-heatsticks-into-your-stove-outlet-184014/

I later added a 30 AMP double-pole (240V) circuit breaker in that box with a 240V outlet to use a 240V heatstick instead of the two 120V outlets. This is not shown in the thread.

Back