Tools to cut hole in top of kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
From browsing a handful of build pages, I see most people use a pole saw. I was wondering the advages/disadvantages of different tools to cut the hole up top.

The three I am interested in (but not limited to):
1. Pole saw
2. Dremmel
3. 2 inch bit for drilling doorknob holes

I don't think you'd really need anything but a hole saw (the doorknob bit), sand paper to smooth any rough edges, and some corn starch/rubbing alcohol slurry to find the cooling lines (unless you already know where those are).

you don't have to use a hole saw - Your other ideas will work.

But, it's certainly the cleanest way to make a hole.

Watch out for the cooling lines! :D

Whats a pole saw? isnt that a chainsaw on a long stick?

Anyway, I cut my hole with a 3" hole saw.

That 2" deal should work, Hell, even if its a 2" spade I'd go to town on a kegerator. They're just foam, plastic and sheet metal, nothing fancy (until you hit a coolant line).

I used a jig-saw with a 3" blade. Center drilled a hole all the way through first. Then I started on the top and then used the sheet metal (traced around it with sharpie, centered it on the drilled hole) as the pattern on the other side. It worked amazing well since I didn't have access to any of those other tools.

DSC00879.JPG

How exact the hole is doesn't really matter unless of course you cut a cooling line or something. Remember, it's going to be hidden underneath a tower or behind a shank.

I drilled 3 holes with a 1/2" bit about 1/8" apart in a triangular pattern then hit it really hard with a hammer.

Saved me from having to find my hole saw.

All you are running are the lines through the hole so it doesn't need to be very big.

you don't have to use a hole saw - Your other ideas will work.

But, it's certainly the cleanest way to make a hole.

Watch out for the cooling lines! :D

Are there cooling lines in the lid of a chest freezer? I haven't seen that mentioned before. Thought they were just inside the base of the freezer.

I've never seen lines in the lid of a chest freezer. Just in the sides. Don't think they could put any in the lid, since they'd have to be flexible to open it.

Whats a pole saw? isnt that a chainsaw on a long stick?

Anyway, I cut my hole with a 3" hole saw.

That 2" deal should work, Hell, even if its a 2" spade I'd go to town on a kegerator. They're just foam, plastic and sheet metal, nothing fancy (until you hit a coolant line).

pole saws do exist. and yes, they are a chain saw on a stick.

No - no cooling lines in the lid of a chest freezer. When I did mine, I of course made it difficult on myself - I cut square holes, using a dremel if I remember correctly. I wanted the hole to match the chase in the coffin top.

:mug:

Back