Are you a smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Robinson

Reaction score
This guy uses a vacuum to suck 400 cigarettes of smoke through water to suspend the tar, then boils it down to show what is left...pretty amazing, and filthy.

I think I'll quit tomorrow.

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ewpf_du-goudron-extrait-de-400-cigarette_tech"]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ewpf_du-goudron-extrait-de-400-cigarette_tech[/ame]

I'm a hookah smoker and love it. I know it's not a healthy "hobby" by any means, but to me it's much better than ciggs. Very relaxing and enjoyable. I'm a member of HookahForum and spend my time there when I'm not browsing around here.
Smoked ciggs somewhat in college, usually just when drinking, but have not smoked them in about a year. It's funny when I smoked I didn't mind the smell or other people smoking around me, but now don't even want to be around it (which is good I guess, just kinda funny).

I am lucky when it comes to cigarettes. I tried it as a kid but it would make me nauseous. It turns out that when my mother was pregnant with me she stopped smoking and could not be around it, this was before the days when women were told to stop smoking during pregnancy. I was also the only one of my siblings that did not smoke, so I guess I was destined to not smoke. I did smoke weed when I was younger but it's been over 15 years since I stopped.

It's funny when I smoked I didn't mind the smell or other people smoking around me, but now don't even want to be around it (which is good I guess, just kinda funny).

Dad quit smoking some years ago, and after a while he realized he didn't like Mom's cooking any more. Mom quit a few weeks later and discovered she didn't like her cooking either.

Your senses change when you're not exposed to smoke for a while.

I smoke. Luckily though, I have a herd of tiny unicorns living in my lungs. They eat up all the tar and poop it out as rainbows. My wife says I am delusional, but I think she's just jealous of my lung unicorns.

You can't contain a lung unicorn. If they are not free to roam they die. Their carcasses are eaten up by the pancreas sharks who, coincidentally poop tar.

Well, I have been breeding my liver nymphs who eat alcohol and excrete water for a year now and am getting ready to bring them to market. Thought maybe we could a package deal. Ah well.

well how come he is wearing latex cloves when he opens the cartons and no cloves when he is handling the Tar after its boiled down?

Smoking (or rather, those predisposed to enjoy smoking) is way more 'genetic' than most think. There have been studies where they compare parents that smoke and their children. There is a strong correlation between parents that smoke and their biological children. But there is NO correlation between parents that smoke and their adopted children. I think I got this from The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell but it may have been Blink: The power of thinking without thinking.

Having said that, neither of my parents smoked but I do (which means nothing but w/e).

Smoking (or rather, those predisposed to enjoy smoking) is way more 'genetic' than most think. There have been studies where they compare parents that smoke and their children. There is a strong correlation between parents that smoke and their biological children. But there is NO correlation between parents that smoke and their adopted children. I think I got this from The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell but it may have been Blink: The power of thinking without thinking.

Having said that, neither of my parents smoked but I do (which means nothing but w/e).

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you were adopted. Your real parents were chain smoking crack addicts who made money to feed their habits by selling their children.

Honestly, I got no pleasure whatsoever in letting you know that. :p

Seriously though, to the hard core addict, as disgusting as this video is, it can be ignored in favour of the next fix. Call it a weak will, complete addiction or any combination of the two.......Smoking in and of itself is a disgusting habit until a smoker has quit for a few days. After that period, the first cigarette feels like you are banging all of Osama Bin laden's 72 virgins before he gets to even meet them.

I quit smoking (full time) I would say a couple of years ago. I used Swedish snus to help make the transition easier without giving up my nicotine and it worked. I have since quit Swedish snus as well, but I would STILL highly recommend it to anyone looking to kick the tar sticks. (Not everyone has Lung Unicorns) If I ingest any sort of plant material nowdays its through a vaporizer. Combustion of anything that goes into my lungs = not so good.

Meh, I have seen this before and I think its kind of stupid. Boil down and concentrate any liquid (besides water) and I am sure it will be disgusting and not very good for you. I would love to see a few hundred cups of starbucks boiled down.

The campaign against cigarettes is ridiculous in my opinion. Being in the navy, I have known a lot of people who have smoked for decades and I have not heard of anyone getting lung cancer. My aunt, uncle and father in law are all life long smokers in their 60's and they are still chugging along. Now, I am not saying lung cancer is a myth. I am pretty sure it exists and it probably does kill. Quitting smoking probably does add years to your life. Now, on the other hand we have the case of my co worker. I have only known him for about eight months and he was recently diagnosed with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Now, he weighs about 350+ lbs, eats fast food and crap all the time, and is probably sedentary. So, it seems to me that smoking is just as bad as being a lazy fat ass.

It seems like everything is going to kill you these days. DONT USE THAT WATER BOTTLE! ITS GOT BPA! bla bla bla. USE THIS LOW VOC PAINT FOR YOUR HOUSE SO YOU WONT GET CANCER. bla bla bla

PS- I quit smoking a few months back, so not technically out of the relapse window yet, but I still support smokers.

anyone else notice that those smoke/air bubbles were WAY TOO BIG to trap even half the tar?
not that I have any experience trying to cool smoke down with tiny little bubble to increase surface are, but it DO work!

still nasty crap though.

I can certainly vouch for the link between biological parents and children. My mother smoked for over 50 years and of six siblings, I'm the only one who has never smoked.

GF's mom: We should take David's car, since it's the biggest.
GF: You realize you can't smoke in David's car.
GF's mom: But I'm your mother!
GF: David's mother isn't allowed to smoke in his car.
GF's mom: we'll take my car.

Back