Lager temp for a partial mash Kolsch???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So this week or next week I plan to brew my partial mash Kolsch. I have been told to ferment for the first 10 days around 70 degrees, ok thats fine. I have also read and been told I should lager the brew after that for 3 weeks around 40 degrees. This is my problem. My basement ranges in different temps all over the place. I believe if I keep it by my back basement door I can ferment somewhere between 40-50 degrees. Will 50 degrees be to high to lager the Kolsch? Im going to try to get some different temp ranges later tonight down in my basement but living here outside of Boston the weather changes 24/7.

Any help would be great.

So this week of next week I plan to brew my partial mash Kolsch. I have been told to ferment for the first 10 days around 70 degrees, ok thats fine. I have also read and been told I should lager the brew after that for 3 weeks around 40 degrees. This is my problem. My basement ranges in different temps all over the place. I believe if I keep it by my back basement door I can ferment somewhere between 40-50 degrees. Will 50 deegress be to high to lager the Kolsch? Im going to try to get some different temp ranges later tonight down in my basement but living here outside of Boston the weather changes 24/7.

Any help would be great.

I would ferment it in the lower to mid 60s unless you like your Koelsch to be quite fruity. The lagering temp isn't all that crucial in my opinion, just get it as cold you you can get it. I have gotten great results aging it in the mid-50s for just 10 days.
During the winter, I am just putting it outside on the porch in an open cooler partially filled with water overnight when temperatures drop into the 30s or 40s, then bring it inside during the day with a couple of frozen water bottles added to keep the temps from fluctuating too much.

what yeast are you using?? that's the biggest factor here.

i've done wyeast 2565 kolsch at 50F successfully. very clean yeast.

Brewing this batch on Tuesday and I am very excited :)
If this comes out good I hope to switch it to all grain.
Im basically going to partial mash way because I want to see how the grain comes out and the color of the Kolsch.

I am confused by people saying they use super cold temps for their lagers. If you look at the website for the yeast strain, most of them appear to me to say 'ferment at 60-63, the lager at 50-55f'. Why would you go colder? It would seem me that colder would just further slow down the fermentation process (and lagers are already slow).

put the fermenter in a water bath towel wrapped..that way the fluctuation of the ambient air is buffered

I used the Wyeast 2565 at 62 for my primary and lagered at 38 for 3 weeks with great result. The beer came out very nicely balanced and only had a hint of fruit esters as a true kolsch should.

Back