Taste Terminology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a fair amount of reading and a little bit of brewing (a dozen or so batches including a few AG) And I've often seen terminology like "off flavors" or "astringent" and the like used. So far I brew beer that falls into two categories 1. that worked... & 2. not so much... I know I've tasted "bad" before, but I don't really know what kind of "bad" it was. It's hard for a noob to know what he's tasting without having an experienced brewer there to point it out and say things like ... (that's a "HSA" off flavor) or (no off flavors here...you just suck at brewing!)

Here's a challenge: Label the bad flavor and then describe it so I've got something to compare my mistakes with.

It's either that or I get addresses and start fedex'n all over the place.
anyone help me out?

Seabee John said:
It's either that or I get addresses and start fedex'n all over the place.

We'll ask you to do that only when you make good beers. ;)

I've frequently wished there was a good source of information like this. Maybe this thread will become that source.

I've only had one beer that I know was infected. And, oh my god, it was awful! I don't have the words to describe it fully. Here's a start though: sour like bad milk or vomit, and solventy like paint-thinner.

I was pretty drunk when I opened the beer and had been drinking a big IIPA. So my palate was kind of numb, thankfully. I only got one swig into my mouth before it came right back out. It was that horrible.

However, different infections will likely have different flavors and intensities.

I'm lucky living where I do. I attended an off-flavor seminar at Oregon State. You might look around for BJCP classes, the seminar I went to was part of the BJCP class, but there were a few open slots, so let others buy their way in. I discovered there are some problems flavors/aromas I can't even detect.

Damn I wish our Uni had more interest in brewing. Ice cream and Agriculture, yes, brewing (tmk) no. :(

Back