Strange color yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
Yesterday I transfered an amber ale into my carboy. I noticed that the yeast cake and dried krausen were a very dark color, almost gray to dark brown. I have brewed a lot of beer and never noticed this color before. Almost all of my yeast cakes are a creamy tan color. This was reconstituted english ale yeast wlp002 that i made a 1.25 L starter with. Has anyone else noticed this before? It did hit expected FG and tasted ok.

My cakes are frequently a dark brownish color. Maybe that's because I usually brew darker styles? I don't know. But I have heard of different yeast strains being slightly different in color from one another. If you got good attenuation, and it tasted and smelled OK, I wouldn't worry.

When I first started brewing I made several 5gal batches and split them up into 1gal glass jugs, pitching a different yeast to each to compare strains. One of the things that really struck me was how vastly different the colors were, even though it was the same batch of wort. Here's a pic from one of those batches during active fermentation. All of those are the same wort, just different yeasts.

079.jpg

Back