Aging methods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eaferreira

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to brew a hearty batch of American Barley Wine (haven't decided on recipe yet) that I can age while on a six-month deployment to Afghanistan early next year. My plan is to brew around the new year, which would give it about five weeks before I need to get on a plane.
I'd like to crack it open as soon as I return home, which would mean fermenting in some combination of a primary and secondary in the five week window, and then bottling right before I leave. That would mean bottle-aging it for six months.
I know that as an alternative, I could leave it in a secondary vessel and bulk-age it that way for the six months, but I don't want to bother my wife with checking the airlock. I'd rather "set it and forget it."
Is this reasonable? I have never done a batch of barley wine, nor have I attempted extensive aging. If I weren't going anywhere, I'd probably opt for bulk-aging. However, I'd really prefer to just bottle it up and let it age that way.
I'd appreciate some thoughtful opinions on this, as well as any best-practice suggestions that would help me along. But please remember that I'm not asking for the ideal method; rather, I'm looking for a way to make the best barley wine possible within the context of my situation.
Thanks in advance.

Bulk aging is the best way with the least trouble. Realistically if you keep it in a dark cool place (coat closet) that is relatively clean you only need to check the airlock once a month, and its no big deal if it dries up a little... as long as primary is done and you are aging. And if you come back and it got infected, age it out and see what happens!!

Stay safe over there brother!!

You want to crack one open when you get home,brew it now if you can and bottle shortly before you leave.That would give it that much more time to come into it's own.

bulk age it while deployed, buy yourself a kegging system because you will deserve it after your deployment :)! Keg and enjoy. Be safe over there! What branch of service? I served in the Marine Corps Infantry not so many years ago!

You can also bulk age in a keg.

i've heard of guys on this forum aging beers a lot longer than that in bottles without a problem. Look for any of the "age it or chuck it" threads for an odea of how long these guys store it. I can appreciate not wanting to bother your wife with keeping up with your hobby. If you're not looking at or able to get a keg cause they're salty all-up look at using a blow off tube and stopper unto a gallon jug. I did that with mead and never lost enough water/sanitizer mix to worry about over the course of a year.

That said, thanks for serving. I served during Desert Storm and I salute you guys still carrying the torch. Be well.

if you are just worried about the airlock you can always use a blow off tube into a gallon jug full of star san solution. That will not dry up in 6 months.

1. Age in the carboy...doable and easy and pretty much thoughtless. You don't have to do anything..just leave it there.

2. Bottle, oxidation can happen but the affects take about 2-3 years for oxidation to really have an issue

3. Keg aging is best. You're bulk aging which is always better. More room for the beer to come into its own and you can be sure all O2 is purged, no light is hitting the beer and that there's no oxidation.

I fully understand not wanting to bother the Mrs. with a bottling project while your gone. The last thing she needs is another thing to worry about. Especially contaminating the long awaited, well deserved, coming home present.

If you decide to age in the carboy, and your located anywhere near San Jose Ca, Id be happy to bottle the batch for ya. Heck, I'll leave a 6'r of my own HB as thanks.:mug:

I'm in Law enforcement and would be happy to help out a brother.

If your not local, Best of luck.

Keep your head down, watch your 6, do your job, and come home whole.

Cheers

I'm guessing that your gonna bottle the batch before ya leave. If it were my brew I would put the bottles in a cardboard box on top of the fridge where its nice n warm. This will ensure that the yeasts will continue to work. Then make sure the MRS transfers to the inside of the fridge a few days before the homecoming.

just a thought

the most reliable way to age quickly is to be the parent of teenagers.

doesn't help with your barleywine question, though.

:)

btw... i would leave it in the carboy, and teach her how to change the airlock

she only has to do that once a month, or so.

For an actual [real] barleywine, don't bottle it that soon. Let it bulk age while you're away. IF it's actually done fermenting before you go wheels-up then you can transfer it to an aging vessel for while you're away. Or leave it in primary (more than a few have left batches in primary for over six months without ill effect). Just put it into the coolest, most temperature stable, part of your home for while away. IF you can score a sanke (commercial) keg, then transfer it into that and simply install a solid TC cap (2" size, with silicone o-ring and clamp) to hold it. If you don't fill the keg, you'll want to add some CO2 before you close it up. A simple 'pocket charger' will be more than enough there (most LHBS will have them). I've had things sit that way for several months already. Sealed up this way NOTHING will get into it, no airlock needs to be checked/filled, and it will be there waiting for your return. While away, get a kegging setup (delivered to your home) so that you can keg and carbonate it on gas when you return. Then you can pour glasses of the barleywine without issue.

BTW, I have a barleywine fermenting right now, started on 10/27. It's still actively fermenting. :eek: I'm going at the cooler end of temperatures (58-60F as per conversations with White Labs people) so that it will be best in glass. I'll be aging the batch for several months, once it's done fermenting. My plan is to have it ready for drinking for xmas 2013. Hopefully it won't still be too hot by then (should be just north of 15%). :D

Another method, if you can't locate a sanke keg, is to get a 5 gallon corny keg (assuming you're getting ~5 gallons out of fermenter) and simply transfer it to that, and use the pocket charger to purge the headspace before you go away. Once you get home, you're one step closer to being ready to keg and serve the batch. Pull a sample from the keg (even easier, just use a picnic tap) and decide if it's actually ready for carbonating and drinking. If not, then let it go longer. If it is ready, then put it onto the gas feed to carbonate. 2-3 weeks later (at serving pressure and temp) start pulling glasses of it. IF it's really worthy of being called a BarleyWine, you won't be pulling pints of it. :rockin:

thank you for your service!

good luck on your deployment, keep your head down, come back safe & we'll throw a party.

+1 (edit) for Golddiggie's suggestion

Back