Ninkasi Renewale 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have never tried to clone a recipe or design my own but yesterday I had what I would consider my favorite porter to date and I want to try to replicate it but definitely need some help (I have not brewing software).

This is what I got off of their site but I have no clue how to figure out how much of each malt to use or timing for the hops.

Renewale 2012 - Porter
Available in 22oz. Bottles and on Draft, Seasonally from January 1st to March 1st

* Statistics
* First Brewed: 2012
* Starting Gravity: 1058
* Bitterness: 38 IBUs
* Alcohol %: 5.9
* Malt: 2 Row, Baird Chocolate, Briess 2 Row CaraPils, Flaked Barley, Weyermann CaraHell, Weyermann Carafa III, Baird Roast Barley, Crisp 77
* Hops: German Northern Brewer, Horizon, Sterling

Has anyone tasted this and knows well enough how to decipher the flavors? Or maybe does someone have some extra time that can punch this into beersmith to help me out? Any and all advice is appreciated thank you!

Download BrewTarget. It's free, open-source, and is very useful. I have no experience with BeerSmith, but I have heard from some people that BrewTarget is as good as BeerSmith in many ways. I have recently found that it will also give suggestions for how to use certain ingredients along with other ingredients for different styles of beers. Might come in handy for you.

Thanks for the info DJ, I will look into that.

So is the OG, IBUs, malts used, and hops used enough info to just enter in and it will estimate weights? Does brewing software do that I mean? I have never seen or used any.

Well, you'll need an idea of what proportions the grains need to be in, depending on the style. Once you're close, you can tweak the amounts here and there to dial in the IBUs, SRM, OG, etc.

Now that I look at it, my assertion that BrewTarget gave advice on proportions to use seems to be in error. I can't find it now that I'm looking for it. That said, maybe look at some of the robust porter recipes in the recipe section. Take a shot with those amounts of base malts and specialty malts, and see if you get close. Some of the recipes I'm looking at seem to have around 75% base malts. That might be a starting point for you.

This is all really new to me too, though, so I can't give too much guidance. I took a blind shot at my Caldera IPA clone, took my results and posted them for critique in the recipes section. With some input from other members, I came out with a pretty passable clone. That would honestly be what I would suggest.

If you're a real DIY guy, you can check out Designing Great Beers. Apparently, it gives guidelines for ingredients in just the way you're looking for.

I'd e-mail them first, I bet they'd give you some good information or a least a decent place to start. I would agree though that is one damn good porter.

The big N is pretty good about listing their malts in order of percentage, so I would start there. And definitely hit them up for a hint or two, very homebrew friendly guys.

Cheers!
Kevin

Thanks for the info everyone. It might take me a bit but when I come up with a recipe I'm comfortable with I will update the thread. I like this porter enough that I'm certain this will be my first (succesful or not) attempt at recipe creation

Back