Should brown malt and chocolate malt be milled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hound

Reaction score
"Brewing for Dummies" says that high kilned malts should not be milled as they create a find grist that ends up as a dark brown/gray slimmy sludge in the boil kettle.

I'm brewing a brown porter, which has brown malt and chocolate malt in the mix. I bought the grains pre milled as that's the only way my home brew shop sells it. And yes ~I've gottne a dark brown sludge that blocks up muslin when I strain into the feermenter.

Should brown malt be milled or not? Likewise chocolate malt?

I think brewing for dummies was written by dummies. You crush ALL your grains.

Any brown sludge (if it even existed) would eventually settle out like everything else.

I think brewing for dummies was written by dummies. You crush ALL your grains.

Any brown sludge (if it even existed) would eventually settle out like everything else.

Thanks Revvy.

Dummies ohkish, I'll like to get Palmers ook, just that it's imperial only. Im looking for a good book in Metric if anyone can recomend it.

How do I preent the sludge getting into the boil? Recirculate more wort?

Don't worry about "sludge" or whatever. EVERYTHING settles out in the end. EVEN if you dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. Just relax about it.

Don't worry about "sludge" or whatever. EVERYTHING settles out in the end. EVEN if you dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. Just relax about it.

I always dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. Isn't the murkier stuff chock full of good nutrients for the yeast? That's what I figured.

I always dump everything from the kettle into the fermenter. Isn't the murkier stuff chock full of good nutrients for the yeast? That's what I figured.

There has been a lot of debate on that issue, but in general you are better off leaving the trub behind. However, if you don't, it really won't hurt your beer significantly.

There has been a lot of debate on that issue, but in general you are better off leaving the trub behind. However, if you don't, it really won't hurt your beer significantly.

Hmm, I thought I kept up on most of the debates pretty well, but I guess I missed that (beyond a thread or two). I'll search it out later, though to date the beer has certainly been drinkable! :drunk:

Back