Had to crush grains with a blender, use the flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjaskula

Reaction score
I'm doing my first partial mash and had to mill 2lbs of grain in a blender, because the LHBS wouldn't crush it for me. The blender gave me a full spectrum from uncrushed grains down to flour. So my question is how much of the resulting grains should i use? Should I try to avoid the flour and only use the larger pieces? I'm plaining on doing my partial mash in a grain bag, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing my first partial mash and had to mill 2lbs of grain in a blender, because the LHBS wouldn't crush it for me. The blender gave me a full spectrum from uncrushed grains down to flour. So my question is how much of the resulting grains should i use? Should I try to avoid the flour and only use the larger pieces? I'm plaining on doing my partial mash in a grain bag, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need a new LHBS...

use it all. The bag will keep chunks out of your wort.

Thanks for the info. I'll use everything and see how it goes.

strat_thru_marshall said:
Yeah, what a joke! A LHBS that wont crush grain for you???? I'd never shop there again. Order online if you have to. Ridiculous.

Yeah it was my first and probably last time there. Normally I go through Northern Brewer.

Customer service these days... you would think a female would typically receive better service from your stereotypical LHBS employee. At my former LHBS my SWMBO went to pick up caps. The guy asked if she was making jewelry! Then proceeded to stick his foot deeper when he asked what she was brewing, she said Imperial Pale Ale, he said you mean an IPA? Don't think she stuttered (never does when I'm in the doghouse).

Wow. I've never heard of that. I'm sure if you mention what state your in folks closer to you will chime in with better LHBS. The one i use is in Bethlehem, PA (Keystone Home Brew) and they've always given good crushes to the grains.

You want a store that will not only crush your grains but also pick up the phone and help you problem solve a bit when something goes wrong mid brew session...

Our LHBS doesn't have a mill but they sell em...but in their defense they were originally a gas station selling wine and beer and started getting into

In defense of the LHBS it could be that they couldn't get the proper permit to allow people to crush their own grains. We had a new LHBS open up a few months ago and it took them a while before they were allowed to crush grains because they could not get a permit for it. Not saying that is the reason, but just throwing it out there.

I've never heard of such a law or permit. Now I'm curious.

Time for research!

I grind(pound to death) all of my own grain and get quite a bit of flour,which I put all of into the grain bag I use for BIAB.I never have a problem with flour getting into the wort.

I do believe the flour is what you want.... The husk is the part you don't want shredded up, but I believe the crushed endosperm is what you are after and it it wasn't for a stuck sparge, it would be ideal, so I say of course use it! If you have a ton of it, maybe add some rice hulls or a better way to filter?

Back