Ive Not 'Staggered' Nutrients, Is it Too Late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
My traditional Mead is coming along nicely, and is currently in Secondary. It is about three weeks old, and I racked it to secondary because the airlock has slowed down considerably. (once every minute or so) I have it sitting on my kitchen counter, wrapped in a blanket, so that I may watch the progress. It has dropped almost as much yeast as primary fermentation did and it's only been in secondary for about 5-6 days. The yeasts stated alcohol tolerance is 14% but it has reached 15%, though it is still fermenting slightly. I'm going to be adding some additional honey to sweeten in the next few days. (2.5 - 3 lbs.) Would it be a good idea to add a tiny bit of nutrient to "help out" the suspended yeast, or at this point would the yeast not have enough time to consume the nutrient, due to high abv content, and leave an off flavor?

Also, I'm going to mix in a little sulfite to keep the mead from grabbing too much air during the mixing processes and oxidize. Would that shock, or possibly kill, the yeast?

Thanks for any help,
Jonas

Since you are already at 15%, no need to nutrient....

Before you back sweeten, you should really wait until fermentation is completely done (and the mead has cleared); then rack onto some campen and potassium sorbate. Wait ~24 hrs, then add your honey.

Since you are already at 15%, no need to nutrient....

Before you back sweeten, you should really wait until fermentation is completely done (and the mead has cleared); then rack onto some campen and potassium sorbate. Wait ~24 hrs, then add your honey.

What does the Campden do? What about Sulfite? I hear sulfite isn't exactly 'necessary', but highly advisable for retaining some of most volatile (fragile) aromas and flavors.

Jonas

Campen tablets (the sulfites) and potassium sorbate act in concert to prohibit yeast from consuming any more sugars...

Even though you're near (or above) your yeast ABV% tolerance - if you add more honey, they yeast will just eat it.

You could play the game of continuing to feed honey until you are sure the yeast are completely done; but that may take awhile to dial in (I've never done it)

Back