keggle sizes??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
I always thought a half barrel was a half barrel. I have one half barrel I have been using as a brew kettle and it says 15.5 gallons and 58 liters right on top. It is an old Bell's brewery keg. Yesterday I was able to get another keg to use as my HLT and when I picked it up I thought it looked smaller than what I had at home. When I got home I set the 2 side by side and the new bud light keg is smaller. It is only 50 liters so I guess it isn't actually a half barrel is it?

Anybody else run in to these slightly small kegs?

Linc

Oh yea, the funny thing was it is covered in INBEV stickers and you can just see some of the older A-B stickers that are somewhat worn off.

Somewhat. The Bud Light Keg I got doesn't show up on the list. Mine is a 50 liter which would be 13.3 gallons. So it is just smaller than a true half barrel but much bigger than a 1/4 barrel.

Weird.

How old is this 50 liter keg? I wonder if AB is downsizing their product?

Since it is covered in INBEV stickers I'm going to say it is a newer keg. INBEV has only owned A-B for less than a year I think. Would a European half barrel be an even 50 liters? This one is about 3 inches shorter than a standard half barrel but is the same diameter

"In European countries where the metric system is used, kegs come in 25 and 50 liters as a standard. In some areas it is common to refer to the size not in liters but in beers. In areas where the standard beer size is .5 liters i.e.: a 50 liter keg would be 100 beers."

Wiki, Wiki, Wiki.

Since IMBEV now owns Bud I would put it past them to start using the smaller European kegs and charge the same price as the older larger US kegs. All my kegs are 15.5

OT Question:

Do 8 gallon sanke's make good keggles for 5 gallon boils?

I have a 7.75 gallon 1/4 keg that I made into a Keggle for smaller brews. it works ok but you really cant install a spigot because the side has those damn bulges right where it would go.And its a pain to pour but if you syphon the cooled wort they work fine. I use a 1/2 inch auto syphon

Ha! INBEV comes to town.... smart move by them, 8 less Liters and the same price... instant billion+ profit increase. And when someone notices, press release, short term memory, no change in market share.... lol.

Since IMBEV now owns Bud I would put it past them to start using the smaller European kegs and charge the same price as the older larger US kegs. All my kegs are 15.5

I have a 7.75 gallon 1/4 keg that I made into a Keggle for smaller brews. it works ok but you really cant install a spigot because the side has those damn bulges right where it would go.And its a pain to pour but if you syphon the cooled wort they work fine. I use a 1/2 inch auto syphon

Springer,
By the time you've added extract to the hot liquor will the 1/4 kegs work for a 5 gallon boil? I've got a 32 quart BK and i wasn't comfortable with the headroom left after i added the extract bags (just to measure the volume displacement). I could have messed that visual test up but to me if you have more than 5lbs of extract then you really need a 10 gallon BK. Am i crazy?

Also, since i'm thinking about going to AG pretty soon, how well do you think the 1/4 keg would do as a HLT? Is there room (i haven't cut off the lid yet) for a ball valve addition close to the bottom of the keg to release the hot liquor?

Also, sorry for the thread revival. Figured it was better than starting a new one.

Back