NG Needle Valves for Flow Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aredling

Reaction score
I have read a ton of threads on this and can't really make up my mind on some of the hose connections on my stand.

I currently have 3 BG-14 NG burners that I am going to mount to a new stand.

I have the Williams Brewing 3/8" orifice/ball valve that screws directly into the back of the burner.

I think I will need a needle valve before this to fine tune the flame height with the NG setup.

I was thinking doing 1/2" black pipe > 3/8" needle valve > 3/8" hose > 3/8" orifice valve.

The orifice valve is a 3/8" flare fitting so I imagine i'll need some fittings to adapt to NPT threads for the hose assembly.

Anyone have any good suggetsions for the 3/8" needle valve? The 1/4" needle valves are really cheap and the 3/8" ones seem to just jump in price really quickly.

This one is only 7 bucks.

In looking into the BTU calculations I think it'll be necessary to stay at 3/8" line size to get the BTUs out of the burners.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

I just use the valve/orifice that I got from Williams brewing. Works fine on natural gas.!

Are you sure the valve you got from Williams with the NG orifice isn't a needle valve?

This is a pic from their site of the combination NG orifice and valve - and that's almost certainly a needle valve.

L38.jpg

And that's the only orifice/valve combination I can find on Williams' site for a BG-14 or Blichmann burner...

Cheers!

I use this

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-NATURAL-GAS-CONVERSION-VALVE-P2214.aspx

On the big silver hurricane burner. I thought that was the bg14. I could be wrong.

Didn't even think about "Hurricane" - got focused on BG-14. But it sure looks like they use the same BG-14 casting. Curious that Williams lists different parts for the two, but yes, yours is definitely a ball valve, so I guess that's what aredling bought.

To aredling, if you could exchange those valves for the kit with the needle valve, that'd solve that part of your problem...

Cheers!

I have 2 BG14s running on NG. They are so easy to control, that I have absolutely no problem tuning the flame level with a normal 1/2 ball valve.

You can see my initial burning test here:
Essentially I'm running 1/2" all the way to the 3/8" appliance hose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just to clear up any confusion:
I picked up this Burner and the NG Conversion Valve both from Williams Brewing.

@Day_Trppr - I really wish I had seen that offer on Williams Brewing because that looks like it's exactly what I need.

I'm going to try this with the 1/2" Ball Valves first and then make a decision based on the control I get.

thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Back