Quick and simple fermentation chamber build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nymtber

Reaction score
Well, I finished my fermentation chamber, FINALLY. Got it running, and will be brewing my NB Sierra Madre kit this week.

It was a very simple build:
2-2'x8' 2" dow foam board (R10)
Loctite foamboard cement
luan board on bottom to protect foam from weight of carboy
weather stripping
1.7 cu ft mini-fridge
piece of 1x6
nylon strap and bungee.

home built ebay temp controller

Here is a pic:
IMG_00901024x815.jpg

Very simple, and not at all pretty. But temperature dropped from 74F to 61F in well under an hour, and has held temp for over an hour. I figure with 5 gallons of liquid in a carboy inside, it will hold temp better than just air. I have a bottle of Pinot Noir that I think I will stick in it for the time being, you know, so its drinkable :D I like my dry reds...

It was a fun project, but one I should have started in may. I am now going to run out of beer before another batch is ready :( Oh well, that won't happen again :)

The foam I got from a local lumber yard, Lowes carries it as well, I think... Circular saw is your friend with this foam!

Its not that big? 24"x28" lxw, and 30" high to fit a carboy with 3 piece airlock, and some room to breathe. If it helps, the mini frige is a small dorm room fridge most college students get, 17" tall. I made it big enough to hold 2 carboys. In late fall/early spring I won't have to have it plugged in, as my basement holds a very even 60-65F temperature, but through winter we have a woodstove, and will need it on, and maybe a heating pad inside as well. Its very portable, I could put it in my bedroom if I had to.

Circular saw is your friend with this foam!

i took a razor blade to cut some foam and it was a PITA!!!! what type of blade did you use on the saw? really need a pointer or two on this. I have also heard an electric knife, like you carve a turkey with works......

I was wondering if the compressor free fridges could be used in ferm chambers effectively!

Maybe once I get paid I'll do this.

This fridge has a compressor. Not sure where the heat exchange coils are, but there is a compressor. If set to max, the mini-fridge itself can get down to 20F all day long... Its from 2000ish, when I grad highschool ;) Hit up craigslist, I see LOTS of fridges this size for $50 or less. This one has been well used, and still works amazing. If it dies, I will find another on CL.

I don't know what kind of blade is in the circular saw, its a Black and Decker 24V rechargeable saw. I did cut the hole for fridge and the lid/bottom with a razor knife because I did not need good square edges, and it was late at night while people were asleep...

by the way, I got tongue and groove foamboard, thats all they had in 2" at the lumber yard. I would highly recommend finding square edge foamboard, otherwise you have to use a razor knife and carefully slice off the tongue part, in order to glue pieces together. The foamboard construction cement holds VERY well ( glued two scrap pieces together, takes a bit of effort to break apart) and I am not at all concerned with it holding up. I might, however, change to a softer weather seal around the fridge, the stuff I got is good, but very stiff, and I want something softer between the fridge and box. Time will tell.

I was wondering if the compressor free fridges could be used in ferm chambers effectively!

Maybe once I get paid I'll do this.

I use one...Avanti superconductor. I had to make one cut out on the inside of the door to get by better bottle carboy in there but it snugs up real nice. Plenty of height for airlock. Plugged into a Ranco temp controller.

It works better than the older 1.7 cu ft regular style fridge. The fridge doesn't really like 65-70 degree temps but the Avanti works well their.

I'm going to build an Avanti tower some day....3 of them, one on top of another:drunk:

Back