Too cool, too fast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewvolution

Reaction score
There are seven days remaining in the countdown to my first brew, and as I iron out the details of my process, I was wondering:

If I do a partial boil (3 gallons or so), and make up the rest of my specified volume with FREEZING cold water (like, so cold I have to chip through a layer of ice to pour it), could I end up damaging my wort?

There are seven days remaining in the countdown to my first brew, and as I iron out the details of my process, I was wondering:

If I do a partial boil (3 gallons or so), and make up the rest of my specified volume with FREEZING cold water (like, so cold I have to chip through a layer of ice to pour it), could I end up damaging my wort?

No. You'll get a nice cold break though, which is good. Just make sure the water is pre-boiled or use bottled water, and sanitize the bottle before pouring by spraying some StarSan on it. You'll want to end up with a temperature of your mixed wort in the mid-60s for most ales to avoid excessive off-flavor production during the early phases of fermentation.

I generally do a 2 1/2 gal. boil, place the pot in a cold water bath for 1/2 hr., then top off with bottled spring water right out of the fridge. This puts my wort right around 70 degrees every time.

Back