WLP001--What a trooper!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
On Nov. 23 I brewed a big barleywine, and to tell the truth, I don't know if the og was 1.120 or 1.110, because I filled the plastic hydro tube with much too hot wort and bent it. It read 1.120, then settled to 1.110 and would hover up and down on account of the curve in the tube. Anyhow, after two weeks it was at 1.030.
I boiled 1 lb dme, 1 lb turbinado, 1 lb organic cane in 1.5 qt water and added to the bw. A week or so later, I added a 25 oz mix of dme and organic cane with qt water. I checked today and my sg was 1.024:ban:!!
The point of all of this, White Labs wasn't kidding when they listed the 001 as tolerant to 15%. I did of course brew a 1.067 amber ale for the five gallon starter for this. I also used Evan!'s trick of shaking, twice a day, the carboy to release the 02. The airlock would nearly fly apart each time I did it.

Any help determining the final abv with my additions?

Start with approximately 46 points per gallon per pound on those ingredients. You added ~4.5 pounds, or 207 points, into 5? gallons, which would yield a boost of .041 in your gravity. Not bad! That is going to be one very alcoholic batch of beer.

That puts your OG at between 1.14 and 1.24...

I use this calculator for ABV:
Alcohol By Volume Calculator | Brewer's Friend

Start with approximately 46 points per gallon per pound on those ingredients. You added ~4.5 pounds, or 207 points, into 5? gallons, which would yield a boost of .041 in your gravity. Not bad! That is going to be one very alcoholic batch of beer.

That puts your OG at between 1.14 and 1.24...

I use this calculator for ABV:
Alcohol By Volume Calculator | Brewer's Friend

Due to the eight ounces of hops in the wort, it came out to about 4.5 gallons into the fermenter.

If it was at 1.120 og without additions, then 18.66%? If 1.100 before infusions, then 16.01%??

Cali is my strain of choice for a really big beer like an IPA or a barleywine. It attenuates very well, I routinely get 85% AA out of it. Being able to pitch a few packages of US-05 is way easier than making a gallon starter.

This strain actually over-attenuated my Christmas beer, took it from 1.090 to 1.012 when I was aiming for 1.016, so I will use the London Ale yeast instead next time I brew it. :)

Back