Advice needed - crap budget barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulStat

Reaction score
This'll teach me for not testing second hand equipment before filling with beer! Anyway I primed a budget barrel yesterday and then filled it to just over half way and filled it with two 8gm CO2 bulbs. A few hours later after checking there was a nice big damp patch of beer on my carpet! It had been seaping out of the seem to the tap.

The tap and cap are new, tap screwed in as tight as it will go. I did release a lot of the pressure which seemed to stop it seeping from the tap, however, my Mrs checked it for me before she left for work and apparently there's a new patch of beer underneath it now (I put it in the sink just in case this time). I'm not really sure where it could be leaking from this time.

Anyway It's probably best by the sounds of things if I transfer to a new vessel, but how shall I go about doing this seeing as I've already primed it once?.

eq036b.jpg

Silicon caulk is safe to use on the outside of you bucket, but other than that I think that you answered your question in your title; "crap budget barrel". I assume this is like mr. beer or a crappy keg? Invest is some good equipment it will be worth it.

Ok well I managed to get hold of a better one today, i'm about to siphon off into the new one.

My main question is, do I need to re-prime?

Yes, but its not 'priming' if you're using pure CO2. priming = sugar, force carb = pure CO2.

since you've been losing pressure due to leaking beer, it probably needs some more CO2...whether its a whole bulb or not...I dunno.

Well that was stressful, first time I've ever siphoned anything! Thought I knew the principles, but the suck start didn't work through a separate tube!

Eventually filled the tube partly with water and then dropped it below the level of the barrel into the new one and it started to work!

I so hope I haven't managed to infect my beer! So what do you fellas say?

RDWAHAHB

Back