IPA with Brett?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstar26t

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
Reaction score
Went to Victory yesterday and they had a fairly new beer on tap called Wild Devil. It's Hop Devil using Brett somehow. It was very good with that sour flavor. I'd like to do this with my IPA. Do I just brew it normally and pitch the 1056 then add brett to the secondary and wait?

Be careful about diving in head first with brett. From what I hear it has a tendency to stick around. You may want to designate a carboy for souring only. Honeylady or some experienced brett brewers can give you more info though.

I just read about this in Radical Brewing a couple days ago, and was planning on doing the same thing. I don't have the book here, so I'm not sure of the recipe. I think the author recommended using the Brett in secondary.

Basically the whole idea is to create an IPA mimicing the storage conditions of the past. The oak barrels lended some Brett to the beer. I'm going to add the brett and also use some oak in the secondary.

Honeylady?! Honeylady?!

ROFL!

OMFG... that would be LANDHONEY - but I think he's got a new nickname! He's one of the resident experts in sour beers, but there are some other people around who have worked with it. I would say that you'd probably want to ferment only in glass and have dedicated hoses and racking canes, anything plastic, for sour beers (but I tend towards a wee bit of paranoia).

The folks at the LHBS suggested using more crystal malt than normal for the Brett to eat since the ale yeast can't eat it during primary.

I just read about this in Radical Brewing a couple days ago, and was planning on doing the same thing. I don't have the book here, so I'm not sure of the recipe. I think the author recommended using the Brett in secondary.

Basically the whole idea is to create an IPA mimicing the storage conditions of the past. The oak barrels lended some Brett to the beer. I'm going to add the brett and also use some oak in the secondary.

Not that I am a Stylinista... I wanted to point out that the oak barrels used in transferring shipped beer were heavily tarred so as not to pick up any oaked flavor from the barrels.

From the BJCP style guide:
Oak is inappropriate in this style.
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.html

This is true of all category 14 beers.

I have no idea about Brett, but since I saw no references to those smells or flavors, it suggest that that would also be out of style.

I think it might be an outstanding tasting beer though.

I have an IIPA right now aging with some Brett B. So far it taste amazing. No need for separate equipment if you sanitize well. I sugest adding it in the secondary, make a starter with it. I also added some Raw sugar to give it a little more to eat on.

Also, be prepared to age for a while, probably around a year. I have a Brett L. beer going right now and it's had constant pellicle for about 4 months now.

I also had Ommegang's Ommegeddon this past weekend, and it was brewed a year ago and still didn't really have any overly funked-up taste to it.

Not that I am a Stylinista... I wanted to point out that the oak barrels used in transferring shipped beer were heavily tarred so as not to pick up any oaked flavor from the barrels.

I think it might be an outstanding tasting beer though.

Style guidelines are for wussies!!!!

Went to Victory yesterday and they had a fairly new beer on tap called Wild Devil. It's Hop Devil using Brett somehow. It was very good with that sour flavor. I'd like to do this with my IPA. Do I just brew it normally and pitch the 1056 then add brett to the secondary and wait?
Some co-workers and I had many beers with one of Victory's brewers last week and I asked about Wild Devil during our midnight brewery tour. He said it was Hop Devil fermented with nothing but Brett.

Honeylady?! Honeylady?!

ROFL!

OMFG... that would be LANDHONEY - but I think he's got a new nickname! He's one of the resident experts in sour beers, but there are some other people around who have worked with it. I would say that you'd probably want to ferment only in glass and have dedicated hoses and racking canes, anything plastic, for sour beers (but I tend towards a wee bit of paranoia).

:cross: ha! sorry for the name slip.

Back