Lager Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monolith

Reaction score
I've just started brewing (4th brew), and i'm planning to make a lager in an old fridge which sits at 9C. I just want to know if anybody has any tips for how to do this.

I'm planning to have a few 12L contatiners of water at 9C top add to the brew.
I have Saflage S-23 yeast for the brew, and i want to know if this yeast needs to be added at a higher temp. or is 9C OK?

I'm also planning to make a yeast starter with water and a little dextrose & malt. Will the quick change in temp. (from room temp. to 9C) destroy the yeast? Should I make a starter at a lower tempurature?

Any advice would be appreciated
Much thanks

I'd make a starter for anything you brew but it doesn't have to be at lagering temp. I start all my lagers at room temp for a day to get the fermentation going then move to the fridge.

here's what i do, and there are other way's, but this fits my set up.

i make a nice sized starter for a lager (2 quart). once i chill the wort, i aerate for 2-3 minutes, then add my yeast starter. once i see signs of activity, then i move my primary to the chest freezer, and gradually lower the temp to the fermentation setting (around 50-55 degrees). allow it to feremeent for about 14 days, then raise the temp to about 68 degrees for a 2-3 day diacetyl rest. then rack to secondary and lower the temp by 2-3 degrees a day until i reach 30-32 degrees. then i lager for a minimum for 4 weeks, longer the better. but, no more than 6 months for me.

the quick change in temp for the yeast may shock it, and it COULD result in off-flavors, and will retard fermentation. just based on my experience and reading.

good luck!

Back